Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Norton Internet Security from Comcast necessary for my new rMBP

I just bought a mid 2015 rMBP and I use Comcast for my ISP. Comcast likes to push Norton Internet Security software to all their users. Is it really necessary for a Mac OS? Does it help, hurt, or simply an innocuous application? I have it loaded on my older iMac (early 2009), but I'm not sure it does anything more than get in the way of downloading updates. Any advice?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 7:48 AM

Comcast likes to push Norton Internet Security software to all their users

That is because they make money from selling it.

It will make your Mac unstable while partially defeating Apple's Built-in malware protection. It is NOT recommended.

But keep in mind they ARE out to get you, and there is no substitute for you remaining skeptical and not Trusting things.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2015 7:48 AM in response to Spike7005

Comcast likes to push Norton Internet Security software to all their users

That is because they make money from selling it.

It will make your Mac unstable while partially defeating Apple's Built-in malware protection. It is NOT recommended.

But keep in mind they ARE out to get you, and there is no substitute for you remaining skeptical and not Trusting things.

Nov 30, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Spike7005

Comcast (and you) ought to be aware that Symantec's own senior VP for information security recently declared "anti-virus" software "dead" while petulantly admitting the real reason is that it doesn't make any money. If you want your Mac to work, don't use such junk. It will do nothing but get in the way and prevent your Mac from working, while doing nothing to protect you against real threats that actually exist, as opposed to imaginary ones that don't. Read Effective defenses against malware and other threats.

Is Norton Internet Security from Comcast necessary for my new rMBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.