Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I ensure that a new hard drive is not viewed as a new machine by Mac App Store?

I'm about to take my iMac (running Mavericks) in to the Apple Store for a precautionary hard drive replacement (at Apple's request; they identified a batch of faulty Fusion drives and mine is one of them). What steps can I take in preparation to ensure:

1. That the Mac App Store recognises my identity after the drive replacement, to avoid the problem that this chap is having, and
  2. (Assuming no problems with [1] above), that the new hard drive is not identified by the Mac App Store as being a new machine, since this would effectively rob me of one of my 5 permitted installs. The MAS does not seem to have a '(de)authorise this computer' option in the same way that iTunes does. Is MAS authorisation controlled by the machine's iTunes authorisation? (same question applies to iBooks, in fact—though that app does have its own ‘authorise this computer’ menu item, making matters still more confusing).

Or, am I worrying unnecessarily?

Any advice gratefully received.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 1:30 AM

Apple recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

2 replies

Nov 27, 2015 1:44 AM in response to Rick Lecoat

Hmm, having marked your answer as helpful, Linc, I now don't seem able to reply to it. Odd, but there y’go—so I'm replying to myself instead. Yes, that support article does clarify things regarding what exactly is affected by iTunes’ deauthorise command. It's a confusing arrangement, though, because iTunes and iBooks each have their own 'Store > Deauthorise this computer…' menu items, whilst the MAS only has 'Store > Sign out'. I would think it would be better to either require authorisations to be carried out ONLY via iTunes, or to provide the same mechanism via ALL the content apps (iTunes, iBooks and the MAS). The current setup (at least in Mavericks) is neither fish nor fowl.

Anyway, thanks for the link and the clarity it provided.

How can I ensure that a new hard drive is not viewed as a new machine by Mac App Store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.