Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID Password Update Every Day

For the last two weeks I've been asked to enter and/or update my Apple ID password every single day after a power off or restart on both my iPad Air and iPhone 6 both running iOS 9.1. They are completely unusable until I do this, locking me out of EVERYTHING until I type in my password and it verifies it with the server. This problem is not encountered on my MacBook or its versions of iCloud, the App Store, or iTunes.

I have signed out of iCloud, FaceTime, Messages, and the App Store (all use Apple ID), made sure there is nothing downloading in the App Store or iTunes (like a digital booklet), Reset ALL settings, Hard Reset, changed my Apple ID password and re-signed in using Apple ID multiple times. The problem persists.

I have changed the Apple ID itself and repeated the above steps. Same problem.

I've gone so far as to completely wipe both devices, reinstall iOS 9.1, and gone through the hassle of setting everything up from scratch, losing ALL of my data. The problem is still there.

I finally broke down and called Apple Support. After 35 minutes explaining that "Yes, I have signed out and signed back in to iCloud" their tech had no other ideas as Apple System Statusshows that everything is working fine.

How do I fix this?

iPad Air, iOS 9.1, Also effects iPhone 6 (iOS 9.1)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 7:14 AM

6 replies

Nov 26, 2015 7:44 AM in response to benjaminfromlansing

The message that you get usually gives you an idea what part of apple service is requiring your password. Then you have to follow the crumbs. That is the only clue I can provide, cause what you just described is equal to me as you telling me that you just brought up dead person to live. When you set your devices up "as new" nothing would prompt for password, unless you are continuously mistyping your passwords or using more then one apple id.

Good luck.

Nov 26, 2015 7:58 AM in response to fromsouth

Thanks.

I've tried disabling iCloud, Messages, FaceTime, and the AppStore individually and hard resetting. I still keep getting the "Enter the password for [APPLE ID]" message. At this point the only one I'm certain is not the culprit is the AppStore. After disabling the others individually, it will switch to asking for the Apple ID password for Messages or FaceTime.

I'm only using the one Apple ID, which it's showing, and I'm not mistyping the password.

A number of people seem to be having this issue as well - here's two instances.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-9-1-apple-id-bug.1916296/

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/help-cant-get-rid-of-apple-id-verification.1 931541/

Nov 26, 2015 12:37 PM in response to benjaminfromlansing

benjaminfromlansing wrote:

A number of people seem to be having this issue as well - here's two instances.

You are most welcome! That is a known fact that every possible issue is not singular to you or anyone else, there is always number of people that have it. It does not change the fact that if you performed troubleshooting that you have described and restored your devices as new and setup as new and still have that problem, to me it is similar to you learning how to revive the dead. Since I still wanted to help you, I attempted to give you all info I have on how to address it. I am sure that my answer is correct, since I have had numerous (way more then two instances) occasions to verify that. That is also possible that you are exception, but in that case the "number of people" argument will not work for you will that..?

Nov 26, 2015 4:13 PM in response to fromsouth

Tried setting it up as new again after fully wiping the iPad. Everything worked until I had to enter my Apple Id to access iCloud - now it's back to asking for me to "enter the APPLE ID password for this account" any time I power the iPad on, just as before. I can go to settings and re-enter the password, or hit "Not Now" which makes the dialog pop up again immediately. If it's not connected to a WiFi network, it just keeps asking for the password even if I re-enter it (it took another complete wipe and reset to get out of one of those loops).

This is the only Apple Id that I have, and it's the only one that's showing up on the iPad. I'm really wondering if there is some server side problem with my account that requires a fix from someone at Apple, or if I need to take your advice and start a second career as a necromancer - seems I have a talent for raising the dead, and I can only assume it would pay well... 😝

As of now, the only other thing I can think to try over the weekend is to again wipe the device and sign in with a relative's Apple Id and see if it's my iPad/iPhone, or something with my Apple Id itself.

Nov 27, 2015 4:27 AM in response to benjaminfromlansing

benjaminfromlansing wrote:

"If it's not connected to a WiFi network, it just keeps asking for the password even if I re-enter it"

If your ipad has cellular connection then I am wrong, but if not declining password while not connected is completely normal.

Since I have more then normal amount of devices(5) myself on one apple id I do get those prompts as well. I would be hard pressed to say how often, but since I joined one more device start of November I have done password entering about 10 times. Perhaps now it calmed down and I have to do it about once a week and only on new device. First two days were brutal, you just need to patiently enter and NOT to MISTYPE. Obviously make sure you are connected to internet when you do or it is pointless.

Apple ID Password Update Every Day

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.