Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prohibitory Sign / Bootable device grayed out in Disk Utility

Hello guys!

Yesterday as I was listening to music on my MacBook Pro 12 it restared and I received the prohibitory sign.

In recovery mode I tried to recover the drive but it won't show.

In Disk Utility I ran First Aid on the drive and everything was OK. Than I ran it on the Yosemite partition (which was grayed out) and it won't finish the operation

Is the data on the drive gone for good? Its really important.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 6:53 AM

2 replies

Nov 26, 2015 8:40 AM in response to Chris Dan Bg

Problems like this are difficult to solve without the proper tools. My first thought would be to start the machine in target disk mode and try to read the drive from another machine, or remove the drive and put it in an enclosure. The drive itself might be failing or the system is so far corrupted that it can't be repaired.

If you can get the drive to mount on another machine, you should be able to get your files off of it.

Nov 26, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Chris Dan Bg

You may need a new Internal Drive.

I suggest you buy one that is a candidate for replacing your current drive, and also an external enclosure or an external adapter to set it up and run it. Install Mac OS X on it anew, and boot from it. Don't worry about mounting it inside your MacBook until later.

Once you have the full abilities of Mac OS X, you can bring additional tolls to bear on the problem. It is also much easier to read files off a drive than to boot from it.

Over 350,000 of the files on your current drive are Mac OS X, and you do not need to "rescue" them, as they are completely replaced by the files in a new Install. Your files are likely to be a few hundred.

Prohibitory Sign / Bootable device grayed out in Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.