Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Find Options to Reduce Photo Size on iMac

I am trying to reduce photo sizes of files on my iMac. Some are in Photos and some are in other folders. I looked at some of the answers on these forums and cannot find options to choose sizes for the destination photos. (El Capitan system). I tried Sharing and Export and see no options to reduce pixel size. Another frustration on using this system. I would have thought typing in photo size reduction in Photos Help would have helped me but once again Apple seems to be saying "that's for Apple to know and you to find out" . I know most you long time users will be able to address my question but my frustration with Apple App help continues to frustrate me.

Thanks in advance.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 7:07 AM

I get you are attempting to reduce the file size, however what is the goal of doing so? If we knew that then we can give you some ideas to achieve the goal.

13 replies

Nov 26, 2015 7:58 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I am trying to reduce the size so I can upload to a message board that has a limit on total file sizes.

I was able to attach a picture to an email. Then choose "smaller" on the email option, send it to myself and get the smaller picture. But that is a lot of steps. I would think that there is a more straight forward way. Thanks in advance for your help.

Nov 26, 2015 8:29 AM in response to MD_Gene

What message board...? Many like ASC will reduce them when they are uploaded to the site.

If not, then your best bet is to use File Export in either Photos or iPhoto.

for Photos, select a Photo > go to File > Export > click the arrow next to Photo Kind: > choose Size > choose small > then Export.

User uploaded file

for iPhoto, select a Photo > go to File > Export > chose Size > choose Small > then Export.

User uploaded file

In this case, I would send the exports to a folder on my desktop to use for uploading to the message board.

Adding that, all of your Photos need to be and should be Imported into Photos or iPhoto for overall ease of access and continuity.

Nov 26, 2015 8:44 AM in response to den.thed

Adding that, all of your Photos need to be and should be Imported into Photos or iPhoto for overall ease of access and continuity.

I believe - for the first time ever - I have to disagree with that. I have never used iPhoto or Photos; mostly because I abhor their filing system and I do not ever want to have to worry about my libraries, did iCloud wipe them out, or whatever else. I created a Photos folder in my Documents folder which contains many sub/sub folders which are easily identifiable ("Coast trip 2015") which can quickly be copied and moved.

@ MD_Gene:

It's not that difficult if you use a photo editing app; I use several. One of the best for resizing in my humble opinion is Graphic Converter (it also does a lot of other things well); however, the newer versions of Preview work just as well: open your photo in Preview and go to Tools > Adjust Size and you'll be presented with this window:

User uploaded file

where you can easily adjust the size.

Nov 26, 2015 10:10 AM in response to babowa

I know,I knew that you might... 😉

FWIW

1. I don't use iCloud and would never let it anywhere near any my Libraries or use Cloud backups.

2. I've exclusively used iPhoto n now Photos for almost 10 years and have never misplaced or lost a single photo out of some odd 27,000 + images.

---------------

Problem is, that most folks are not as organize as us and have trouble finding images that are plastered all over their desktop or just randomly put into the Picture Folder.

So on that note: I will always encourage most users to clean up their act (desktop and picture folder) by importing everything into iPhoto or Photos, as well as having a good local backup of the Photo Libraries.

Nov 26, 2015 10:35 AM in response to den.thed

Very true; having said that, I do not care how the filing system assigns "events", "faces", or whatever. Initially, I also disliked the extremely poor and limited editing options, which appear to have improved somewhat, but they certainly do not come close to Affinity Photo, Aperture, Photo to Movie, Graphic Converter, or, for some things, the tiny app Snap Heal. These are my photos on my computer and I need to be in charge of the filing system; additionally, I want to be able to simply move the entire folder - or parts of it - without having to worry about a "library", updating it, or having to make sure that it makes it to a new install/computer. But, that is what suits me, so I usually don't encourage or discourage anyone and if someone wants specific instructions on something with iPhoto or Photos, I just reply that I choose not to use them.

Nov 27, 2015 7:09 AM in response to den.thed

FWIW

1. I don't use iCloud and would never let it anywhere near any my Libraries or use Cloud backups.

2. I've exclusively used iPhoto n now Photos for almost 10 years and have never misplaced or lost a single photo out of some odd 27,000 + images.

den.thed wrote:

I know,I knew that you might... 😉

FWIW

---------------

Problem is, that most folks are not as organize as us and have trouble finding images that are plastered all over their desktop or just randomly put into the Picture Folder.

So on that note: I will always encourage most users to clean up their act (desktop and picture folder) by importing everything into iPhoto or Photos, as well as having a good local backup of the Photo Libraries.

Nov 27, 2015 8:02 AM in response to MD_Gene

Nothing you store online is 100% safe. Servers are hacked into routinely, mostly by people looking for private/financial/usable information to get to your money, identity, or simply to sell such info to people paying for it. I would not store any private info online - ever.

But, from what I understand, you can't browse them using Preview or can you?

Not sure what you mean with browse, but of course you can look at one or more any time - if you look at my screenshot, I've highlighted several photos (these are in my Documents folder > (my own) Photos folder):

User uploaded file

If I double click on this selection, I will get a Preview document with all the pics. Select to view with thumbnails on left and you can look at one after another.

Can't Find Options to Reduce Photo Size on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.