Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing files between 2 user accounts

Just purchased a iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015, running OS X El Capitan version 10.11.1 Set up an initial user account to get started. Then migrated all files, folders etc from an older MacBook Pro running the latest software. The user account from the Mac Book Pro is now on the new iMac. Two questions, how do I share data between users? And should I "inherit the backup" to both users accounts?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 6:56 AM

2 replies

Nov 26, 2015 7:01 AM in response to Stosh21

Hi,

I use my iMac with my wife and my 2 sons and each of us have an own account on the iMac. - If I want to share a file

• I use either my iCloud drive and share the specific file
  • I use the Shared Folder under /System/Users/Shared. - This folder is visible by all users of the iMac and can be accessed in read and write mode.

Hope this helped...

Good luck,

Gerald

Jan 31, 2016 1:59 PM in response to magos1965

Similar question but in my case I have 2 identical iMacs connected on a network. Using the public folders or even the drop box folders, we cannot get a file to consistently open. The situation is that the owner put the file in his PUBLIC folder (or even a shared folder on his computer). He closes the file. I open it, make changes, and save it. All of sudden, I'm the owner and his permissions to the file have vanished. Maddening! He ends up having to modify the file permissions to add himself back, and then he can edit the file. We want to be able to have full consistent access to the same file across two different computers.

Sharing files between 2 user accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.