Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My memory is maxed out and my harddrive is 2/3 full.

My memory is maxed out and my harddrive is 2/3 full. Would getting a new hard drive help at all in speeding up processes?

I use CleanMyMac 3 and have found that helps, but other than buying a new Macbook, would buying a new hard drive that is larger than the 320 GB hard drive I have already installed help with increasing speed?

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 8:48 AM

5 replies

Nov 26, 2015 9:01 AM in response to BSSS

Probably not. If you want a big speed increase, get yourself a SSD hard drive. Best speed upgrade you can do, you'll be amazed.

First thing I'd try though is backing up your drive, completely erase it and reinstall a new OS. Then migrate your user account and reinstall your apps. After all that your machine might run a little more smoothly.

But do the SSD. Seriously, go. Do it now.

Nov 26, 2015 9:00 AM in response to Andrew Wolczyk

I have this:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.48f2

Do you know if an SSD can be installed in my later model?

My memory is maxed out and my harddrive is 2/3 full.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.