Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is an OSXFUSE RUNTIME VERSION MISMATCH?

I have a MacBook Pro and an iMac. I am running OS X 10.11.1 on both. My business requires Windows programs. I am running VMWare Version 8.02 on both machines with Windows 7 Pro on one and Windows 7 Ultimate on the other.

I have purchase two Seagate backup drives--1 is the Personal Cloud 1 TB and the other is a Backup Plus Desktop 5 tb. The letters states that you can back up both Mac and Windows files (although, it apparently requires some kind of NTFS converter.....Paragon appeared).

When I attached the 5 TB Seagate Drive, I started getting an error message as follows: OSXFUSE Runtime Version Mismatch: The OSXFUSE library version this program is using (which program??? no indication) is incompatible with the loaded OSXFUSE KERNEL EXTENSION.

Now--to the question: I seem to be unable to back up my MAC to the Seagate Back Up Plus (or the Personal Cloud). I understand that the virtual machine is nothing more than a file on the OS, and so I normally delete it from Time Machine backup EXCEPT for the first backup that I make. My objectives are as follows:

1. Back up the Entire Mac one time.

2. Thereafter, exclude the Virtual Machine from the Backup and do normal backups of the rest of the Mac.

3. Copy and Save some of the Windows created files (specifically, *.xlxs files) to the same backup drive in a separate folder.

Am I asking for too much? Is there something wrong with my thinking? Is there a better backup system that will allow me to have backups of my Macs, my virtual machines, and some specific and very large windows excel files?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), VMWare 8.02 running Windows Ult 7

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 10:22 AM

3 replies

Nov 26, 2015 12:20 PM in response to maroongoose

When you talk about the Mac backup you do not mention Time Machine.. but I am guessing that is what you are talking about.

TM is very specific about disk format.. It must have HFS+ (Mac OS Extended Journaled) .. It simply will not use any other format even if the Mac can read or write to it.

You cannot use the Backup Plus Desktop for both windows and Mac (Time Machine) without partitioning the drive.. create a partition for Mac and format it HFS+ via the disk utility.. the other partition is best formatted from Windows in NTFS.. ie native windows. You cannot format NTFS from Mac disk utility.

The OSXFUSE error .. I have no idea.. but it could be vmware.

Nov 26, 2015 2:03 PM in response to LaPastenague

FWIW ... OSXFUSE replaced MacFUSE. It allows you to extend OS X's native file-handling capabilities. One of it capabilities is to allow OS X to access NTFS partitions. Developers use it to support NTFS-partioned drives that supposedly make them 'compatible' with OS X.

The error message the OP is getting typically happens when updating the OSXFUSE drivers and the update does not go as planned.

Nov 26, 2015 4:26 PM in response to Tesserax

So it would be the paragon utility I guess??

Thanks for the info!!

I see the FUSE all the time.. in various linux and BSD installs but it is not something I spent time exploring.

Or nowadays it is a case of .. I have fully investigated it.. but my memory now is such that what happened yesterday is a blur.. but stuff that happen 50years ago is clear as a bell.. !!

What is an OSXFUSE RUNTIME VERSION MISMATCH?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.