Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First Generation Airport Express

I think I know the answer but I just want someone to put me out of my misery 😉

Previous situation:

I have a first gen Airport Express that I had previously been using purely to stream music to speakers on an old Mac running Lion.

New/current situation:

I have just bought a new MacBook Air running El Capitan.

I am using a new Time Capsule as wireless router.

I want to continue to use the first gen AE to stream music and so I am therefore trying to set up the new Mac and the Capsule with the first gen AE.

Problems:

My understanding is that the first gen AE requires Airport Utility 5.6.1.

However, AU 5.6.1 is not compatible with El Capitan.

I am using AU 6.3.6 with the new Mac and the Time Capsule and that combination is fine, with the exception that I cannot add the first gen AE to this network.

Conclusion:

I'm screwed right?

I have to buy a new Airport Express as the hardware/software combination I have will not achieve what I want.

Or, can I borrow an older Mac running an earlier OS and configure the AE as I require?

Thanks in advance.

GMF

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 11:45 AM

Apple does not make it easy with their naming, but it appears that you may be confused about what a 1st Generation AirPort Express might be. The 1st Gen name was given to the first AirPort Express in 2008 that provided faster "n" level wireless speeds....and you likely have a much older version than this.

Several older versions of the Express that were "g" wireless products came before the 1st Gen Express....back to 2003-2004. These models were discontinued in 2008 when the "n" version of the Express was introduced.

A 1st Gen AirPort Express is model number A1264. Chances are, if you check the model number of your Express (look on the side of the device in the fine print......hard to see, so you may need reading glasses and good lighting......the model number starts with an "A" followed by four numbers) you will see that you have either model number A1084 or A1088.

If you have A1084 or A1088, you have an older version of the Express that was sold before Apple began to use the "Generation" naming with the introduction of "n" wireless products.

Unfortunately, Apple dropped support of the older "g" AirPort Expresses (and AirPort Extremes) when they introduced AirPort Utility 6.3.x over 3 years ago.

If you feel that the older Express that you have is still operational, you will need to use......or borrow for 15-20 minutes.....a Mac that running the Leopard (10.5.x) or Snow Leopard (10.6.x) operating systems, or a PC that has AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows installed on the device to be able reconfigure the older Express.

Most of the older Express models died after about 5 years of use, so pat yourself on the back for your good luck if you still have one that works. But, it will fail any minute now, so you might think about rewarding yourself with a new Express as an early holiday gift.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2015 11:45 AM in response to goatmasterfunk

Apple does not make it easy with their naming, but it appears that you may be confused about what a 1st Generation AirPort Express might be. The 1st Gen name was given to the first AirPort Express in 2008 that provided faster "n" level wireless speeds....and you likely have a much older version than this.

Several older versions of the Express that were "g" wireless products came before the 1st Gen Express....back to 2003-2004. These models were discontinued in 2008 when the "n" version of the Express was introduced.

A 1st Gen AirPort Express is model number A1264. Chances are, if you check the model number of your Express (look on the side of the device in the fine print......hard to see, so you may need reading glasses and good lighting......the model number starts with an "A" followed by four numbers) you will see that you have either model number A1084 or A1088.

If you have A1084 or A1088, you have an older version of the Express that was sold before Apple began to use the "Generation" naming with the introduction of "n" wireless products.

Unfortunately, Apple dropped support of the older "g" AirPort Expresses (and AirPort Extremes) when they introduced AirPort Utility 6.3.x over 3 years ago.

If you feel that the older Express that you have is still operational, you will need to use......or borrow for 15-20 minutes.....a Mac that running the Leopard (10.5.x) or Snow Leopard (10.6.x) operating systems, or a PC that has AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows installed on the device to be able reconfigure the older Express.

Most of the older Express models died after about 5 years of use, so pat yourself on the back for your good luck if you still have one that works. But, it will fail any minute now, so you might think about rewarding yourself with a new Express as an early holiday gift.

First Generation Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.