Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

expanding column width in finder in El Capitan loses view of files

This has been going on since I updated to El Capitan. So I use the column view in finder all the time and I often expand the column to view the full name of my files. What I notice is that when I either double click at the bottom to expand the column view or drag to do the same, the names of the files disappear. This is the third time it's happening and only when I restart is it resolved. Not sure if anyone is having the same problem on El Capitan and if you have a solution. Thanks.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Mid 2013

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 9:48 AM

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Re-launch Finder by restarting the computer and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2015 9:48 AM in response to IkechukwuNwanze

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Re-launch Finder by restarting the computer and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Dec 21, 2015 9:37 AM in response to IkechukwuNwanze

Since I work extensively with documents, unless there is a way to alter the width of the columns in Finder, "hovering" over each individual file name to be able to read it completely is INEXCUSABLE. I have to constantly retrieve, revise and consult documents and having to do this with each one for what might be a list of 10 or more different versions means HOURS of time wasted and endless frustration.

Either Apple needs to fix this PRONTO, or I will have to find another software.

And I thought Apple wanted attorneys to migrate to their hardware and software - NOT likely if this is not fixed.

Dec 21, 2015 12:33 PM in response to TNlaw

I gave up with Finder and purchased Pathfinder. I give it full thumbs up... so happy I got it. It automatically defaults the column width to the longest title in the column, and it REMEMBERS the column width. No more agonizing over Finder's ridiculous column widths. Pathfinder does a lot of other things as well. Not sorry I sprung for it.

expanding column width in finder in El Capitan loses view of files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.