Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movies with 5:1 audio on Mac Mini

I have plenty of movies saved on my Time Capsule that have audio 5:1 Dolby DTS etc. When I play them from my Mac Book Pro and its iTunes via Apple TV, since ATV has an optical output I connect it to my Cinema Surround DENON amplifier and I can enjoy the sorround effects.

Problem is that when I am not home th rest of the family has only iPads and cannot access the movies that are on the TC. My idea is to buy a Mac Mini so that when I am not home they can access the movies on the TC via the Mac Mini, but the question is: how I can enjoy the 5:1 audio surround using Mac Mini only? I guess I will have to connect the Mac Mini to the ATV, but via Airplay or via cable?

I will appreciate any suggestion to make best set up to enjoy the movies from TC including the 5:1 audio.

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 12:39 AM

You could use the Mac mini as a 'server' and have the Apple TV play from the files on the Mac mini, this would be done using iTunes Home Sharing.

It is possible also to connect iPhone and iPads via iTunes Home Sharing to the same Mac mini, in theory several people could be playing different media at the same time if your network is fast enough.

See Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices - Apple Support

It is also possible to connect a Mac mini directly to a TV or AV Receiver and play 5.1 sound via either the HDMI port on the Mac mini or the optical out port on the Mac mini. This approach however would only allow one user at a time.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 12:39 AM in response to Maltesi

You could use the Mac mini as a 'server' and have the Apple TV play from the files on the Mac mini, this would be done using iTunes Home Sharing.

It is possible also to connect iPhone and iPads via iTunes Home Sharing to the same Mac mini, in theory several people could be playing different media at the same time if your network is fast enough.

See Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices - Apple Support

It is also possible to connect a Mac mini directly to a TV or AV Receiver and play 5.1 sound via either the HDMI port on the Mac mini or the optical out port on the Mac mini. This approach however would only allow one user at a time.

Nov 29, 2015 12:39 AM in response to John Lockwood

Hi John

thanks for your reply,

I knew about Home Sharing since we use it already. I have bought the Mac Mini yesterday and, as expected, it has no optical output, so in order to enjoy the home theatre 5.1 surround of my DENON amplifier I must pass through the Apple TV, which has the optical output.

I now have to explore if I can work throught the ethernet cable to avoid overloading the wi-fi network.

Nov 29, 2015 4:00 AM in response to Maltesi

The Mac mini including the latest model does have a built-in optical output. The audio out port is able to do both 3.5mm mini jack analogue, and optical digital via a mini TOS-link to S/PDIF cable. Here is an example cable. See http://www.amazon.com/FosPower-Toslink-Digital-Connectors-Strain-Relief/dp/B00T8 HWUVS/

The specs of the latest Mac mini are here http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/ the reference to both digital and analogue via the same 3.5mm jack means it does still do optical.

5.1 audio by itself will not overload your WiFi, it is the video if any you stream with it that it more likely to do so. If you use 5GHz WiFi with 802.11.n or 802.11ac

Movies with 5:1 audio on Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.