Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Immediately Closes upon Opening

Hi,

My iPhoto is operating on the 4.5.3 software and my MacBook Pro is operating on 10.8.5 system. I've never had any problems with uploading or opening iPhoto but today the application refuses to open.

It will load pictures, then immediately closes. It gives a diagnostic list but the list shows nothing of concern that I have seen. I have a lot of pictures on my mac and want to be able to continue uploading without fearing losing them (I use an external hard drive).

Any suggestions as to why the iPhoto (all updated) isn't opening is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 10:01 AM

11 replies

Nov 26, 2015 10:20 AM in response to norgemoose

Are you really running iPhoto 4.5.3 on MacOs X 10.8.5 or is it a typo? iPhoto 4.x. has been released for MacOS X 10.2. or later, so that is an unusual combination.

If your iPhoto version is rather iPhoto 9.4.x, you may have been experiencing the sam problem as many iPhoto 9.4 users right now on Mt. Lion, that iPhoto is crashing because it cannot connect any longer to the Google servers for the Google maps.

Then look at this discussion:

There is a problem with the Places feature, because the Google maps are no longer supported.

See Huxly647's solution:

Huxly647Nov 20, 2015 12:05 AM
Re: iPhoto crashes after opening repeatedlyin response to carvermonHelpful

I found a fix that works for me..

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

Iphoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

Let me know if it works for you guys...

Removing the two files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html from iPhoto's application bundle prevents the javascript inside from being executed and causing the crash. To access the files inside the iPhoto application select it in the Finder and ctrl-click it. Then use the command "Show Package Contents" from the menu. Open the subfolder Contents, then Resources.

Don't try this fix without making a copy of the iPhoto application before you try to remove the two files from the application bundle.

To access the files inside the iPhoto application select it in the Finder and ctrl-click it. Then use the command "Show Package Contents" from the menu. Open the subfolder Contents, then Resources.

Nov 26, 2015 10:27 AM in response to norgemoose

My iPhoto is operating on the 4.5.3 software

What do you mean by 4.5.3 software? What software. It can't be iPhoto 4 because iPhoto 4 is a 15 year old version and only runs on PowerPC Macs.

It there's a crash report post the first 50 lines of it.

Also as a test launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and try to create a new, test library without crashing. Can you?

Nov 26, 2015 11:19 AM in response to tntoofore

Same problem, began today. How/where does one enter the "goto" order? (Sorry to be so ill informed.) What is the best way to make the copy?

Do you have an iPhoto version 9.4.5 or older?

• Select iPhoto in the Applications folder.
  • Ctrl-click it. From the menu that appears select "Show Package Contents".
  • Then proceed as Huxly647 described:
    • open the folder Contents, then Resources
    • delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

Deleting these files will prevent iPhoto from trying to contact Googles Maps server and stop it from crashing when trying to execute the javascript in these files.

iPhoto Immediately Closes upon Opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.