Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport utility does not find my airport express router that I am trying to use to play music from ITunes. I have internet access via my cable wireless router which works fine.

Airport Utility does not find my A1264 Airport Express router despite the router showing a steady green. I have another wireless router for my internet connection but I want the airport router so that I can play iTunes wirelessly from my MacBook to my stereo system. It used to work. I used to be able to pick the router in ITunes but I no longer have the symbol in ITunes.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 12:35 PM

4 replies

Nov 26, 2015 12:43 PM in response to stonegate101

When you are having issues like this, it is almost always best to reset the Express back to factory default settings and then set it up again.

If you decide that you want to try this, we need to know how the Express will connect to your existing router. Would that be using wireless? Or, will the Express connect to the router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection?

Nov 26, 2015 1:18 PM in response to stonegate101

Power up the Express for a minute or two if it is not already powered on, then hold in the reset button on the Express for 7 to 8 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the Express to restart.

User uploaded file

The Ethernet cable......which must remain connected at all times if you set up the Express with the Ethernet cable......should connect from one of the LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the wireless router to the Express.

Click the WiFi icon at the top of the Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Just below that, click on AirPort Express

User uploaded file

When you click on AirPort Express, that will start up the setup "wizard". It will take a few seconds for the utility to analyze the network, then display a screen that looks like this:

User uploaded file

Network Name = The same name that your wireless router is providing right now

Base Station = A short, simple name that you want to call the AirPort Express. You can use the same name that you used before

Password = The same password that your wireless network is using now

Verify = The same password that your wireless network is using now

Click Next

The wizard will set up everything for you. Wait a minute or two for a message that indicates Setup Complete. When you see that, click Done and close the window. You are all set.

If you don't need the extra wireless signal coverage that the Express is providing, you can turn off that service using AirPort Utility.

Airport utility does not find my airport express router that I am trying to use to play music from ITunes. I have internet access via my cable wireless router which works fine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.