Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Gen 4 Audio

On the old Apple TV I used the toslink output from the Apple TV for the sound but on the new Apple TV there is no audio output. So I set up the recommended solution for connecting to the sound system, i.e. connect the sound system to an Airport Express and stream the sound from the Apple TV to the Airport Express. It works like a charm but I have to reconnect it every time I want to use it - when the Apple TV has gone to sleep, the audio is reset to the default and that is Apple TV which for me means no sound. Really annoying!

Am I missing some setting to make this configuration work as expected?

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 11:43 AM

5 replies

Nov 27, 2015 1:18 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Ok - thank you for your answer.
I'm not really in the mood for buying a new sound system with hdmi-inputs. They all seem big and bulky and has way more functions than I need.

I was really happy for while with the setup of Apple TV 4 and an Airport Express. With only one remote unit (the remote for the Apple TV) I could turn on and off the projector (CEC) and also adjust the volume for the sound sent from the Airport Express. I like keeping things simple 🙂

Right now I haven't decided which path to chose to get this to work. I can live with more equipment but I don't want more remote controllers on my table.
I have the house filled with Apples in many flavors and this, the latest version of Apple TV, is the first thing that makes me disappointed.

All the best

Ulf

Apple TV Gen 4 Audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.