Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared Apple ID and legal

Hello,

isn't it illegal to buy apps under one personal Apple ID and use the same device backed up and restored to other devices in business or education environment? Terms and conditions states that, it is possible up to 10 devices, however can be exceeded.

I assume that it is illegal and VPP should be used, if it is available. What do you think about this?

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 11:29 AM

8 replies

Nov 27, 2015 12:37 PM in response to MikeICT

I am not a lawyer.

isn't it illegal to buy apps under one personal Apple ID and use the same device backed up and restored to other devices in business or education environment?

Just as long as all devices are used by the same person. I think the limit is 5 idevices with 5 other macs for a total of 10. With a shared device, you need a license per device. I do not know the ins and outs of free apps, but wouldn't think it would not be a big deal. [ would be OK. ]

look under contacts and trace down legal. Give call.

R

Nov 28, 2015 7:03 AM in response to rccharles

Thank you very much.

It is hard explained in terms and conditions, but the rule seems to be this: A single person can download and re-use unlimited amount of paid applications on his/her personal devices. Business or school has to distribute a separate license for every single employee/student, or shared mobile device.

Tell me, if it is wrong.

Nov 28, 2015 1:07 PM in response to rccharles

Here are the complete terms. Get a Lawyer who likes to read this stuff.

http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html#APPS

I do not think that apple has a distinction between private and business use. It's all on who uses the device.

I think the catch is that is that an apple id can have only one owner. In a business, it could be that if you have an iPhone and an iPad that only you use then you can use the same apple id for each device hence share all the apps & music.

Cloning to another device then having the other devices used by a another person would violate the personal use rule. The second device isn't for personal use of the first person.

I do not see separate rules for business and personal use in my quick reading of the above document.

& I'm not a lawyer & this is the Internet.

R

Nov 29, 2015 6:26 AM in response to rccharles

Thank you for your cooperation.

I found this: Apple ID to App purchase, how many?.

And: <http://www.apple.com/legal/intellectual-property/piracy.html>.

My common sense says that, you have to buy a license for every single user or device. If I made a back up of the device under one personal account in school and used that to other devices, it would be same as copying the software and sharing it with others.

Nov 29, 2015 11:27 PM in response to MikeICT

that person would also have to sign in to verify his identity. if they can sign in with their information then they will be recognized as the owner. if the school administrator has an apple ID that is being used on these devices, they can download THEIR apps on THEIR devices as many times as they wants. doesnt matter who uses them on a daily basis.

one person can own 10 devices and have them online and being used all the time. they can be signed into up to 60 devices and use the same information using family sharing. each members gets to share all the purchases and content which each other and each member of the family can also have up to 10 devices online.

if you buy the content you can transfer it to your devices as many times as you would like

Nov 30, 2015 1:04 AM in response to MikeICT

MAC APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

Except as otherwise set forth herein,

ℹ If you are an individual acting in your personal capacity, you may download and use an application from the Mac App Store (“Mac App Store Product”) for personal, non-commercial use on any Apple-branded products running Mac OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download a Mac App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on each of the Mac Computer(s) used by that individual that you own or control or (b) multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use a Mac App Store Product on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or multiple students may serially use a Mac App Store Product on a single Mac Computer located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each Mac Computer used serially by multiple users requires a separate license.

(iii) Use may require sign-in with the Apple ID used to download the Mac App Store Product from the Mac App Store. Mac App Store Products can be updated through the Mac App Store only.

Shared Apple ID and legal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.