Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Page numbers and word conversion

My son has to submit his university work in word.

He works in Pages and converts to word which so far has worked just fine except that when he needs to add page numbers to his finished work, it then converts and causes some text to move to the next page in some cases.

As it stands he resolves this by opening the document in word on a PC and inserting or deleting some line breaks as needed.

Is there something he could do in Pages to to avoid this last step.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Apple TV 1, Apple TV 2, Apple TV 3

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 12:58 PM

6 replies

Nov 26, 2015 1:27 PM in response to Winston Churchill

What version of Pages?

1. If he needs to complete the work in Word he should not be using Pages. Pages is not a Word clone and there is a difference in layout, type engine and functionality.

2. I especially do not recommend valuable work be done in Pages, particularly Pages 5.x. Should something go wrong, and there is a high possibility it will, the file format is complete unparseable and he will be unable to recover anything. Plus Apple keeps altering the file format to make it less compatible and generally unopenable. Further Pages 5 uses a format that does not email well.

3. Pages 5 has few and expensive bibliography tools.

Given all that I do not get what exactly you are referring to when you say he needs to add page numbers and that alters the layout.

Page numbers usually reside in the footer or header and will not cause reflow.

Are you referring to bookmarks or cross references? If so adding anything to the main text will cause reflow, also you are unclear as to what you mean by the second reference to "convert". Convert what? Isn't it already a Word document?

You will get some reflow from just the difference in type engines between Pages and Word, but I think some of your problems may be from using line multiples for line spacing instead of "Exact".

Peter

Nov 26, 2015 2:04 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

What version of Pages?

1. If he needs to complete the work in Word he should not be using Pages. Pages is not a Word clone and there is a difference in layout, type engine and functionality.

He is dyslexic and has learning difficulties, he is fluent in Pages, Word confuses him, he has enough on his plate with his medical degree without learning a new (and what he considers to be a bloated and difficult) program.

2. I especially do not recommend valuable work be done in Pages, particularly Pages 5.x. Should something go wrong, and there is a high possibility it will, the file format is complete unparseable and he will be unable to recover anything. Plus Apple keeps altering the file format to make it less compatible and generally unopenable. Further Pages 5 uses a format that does not email well.

We've all been using Pages for almost 11 years now and haven't lost any documents yet

3. Pages 5 has few and expensive bibliography tools.

I don't quite get what you are saying there, I'm not aware of any Pages add ons if that's what you mean. However, he has to reference many medical journals etc and bibliography is a large part of his work, he has no difficulties in getting it to do what he needs. I don't know whether he uses work around or not but it certainly doesn't trouble him however he achieves it.

Given all that I do not get what exactly you are referring to when you say he needs to add page numbers and that alters the layout.

He produces his document in Pages without page numbers, he then converts it to word format (File > Export > Word), when he examines the Pages document in Pages and the Word document in Word, the layouts and formatting are identical.

If he then inserts a page number into the original Pages document in Pages (by clicking in the footer and choosing one of the numbering options) and then exports again to Word, this time when he compares the two documents they are different.

Page numbers usually reside in the footer or header and will not cause reflow.

But they do, which is the purpose of this question.

Are you referring to bookmarks or cross references?

I'm referring to page numbers.

User uploaded file

also you are unclear as to what you mean by the second reference to "convert". Convert what? Isn't it already a Word document?

I think I've explained that above, however... The document he is converting in the second reference to “convert” is the pages document but with page numbers added, which he is converting to word. The purpose of mentioning the conversion from a Pages document without page numbers to a Word document is to demonstrate that it isn't until the page numbers are added that the layout changes.

I also have learning difficulties like he does, so I may not always explain very well, it does however give me a very good insight into why he doesn't want to work with Word.

You will get some reflow from just the difference in type engines between Pages and Word, but I think some of your problems may be from using line multiples for line spacing instead of "Exact".

I'd have to examine what he has done to be sure, but I rather think he has chosen his fonts and text settings carefully to avoid just this problem, indeed he does seem to have achieved this judging by the results from exporting without page numbers.

Nov 26, 2015 6:18 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:

We've all been using Pages for almost 11 years now and haven't lost any documents yet

Most of that time you would have been using the previous Pages not Pages 5.x

All of my files stored on iCloud Drive have disappeared. A fairly frequent post.

Which does not include the many posters who have unopenable files, or have conversion/compatiblitity problems.

Peter

Nov 27, 2015 6:18 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Everything is fine. Until it happens.

I have read and reread multiple times your workflow, and as near as I can tell the problem seems to be in Word.

Word puts page numbers in independent Textboxes to my knowledge, at least that is what we observe when we convert Word to Pages. Perhaps the same is happening in your case, which is moving adjacent text.

Hard to pinpoint without seeing both the before and after files, along with the formatting.

Turn on Invisibles and Layout in Word to see if you can see what is there. Why not add the page numbers in Word, not Pages?

Peter

Nov 27, 2015 6:18 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

I'd wondered if the issue might be with word.

It doesn't really matter whether he adds the numbers in Word or Pages, whichever route he takes it results in him having to use Word, which frustrates him and affects his concentration, thereby reducing his output. We were hoping to avoid opening Word, but alas, if it's not possible he will have to continue as he has been doing. Thanks anyway.

Page numbers and word conversion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.