Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

weather widgets on dashboard not working I need help

Hi im really have a problem since a few month with weather widgets on dashboard, because not work at all always show cupertino...i re-installed "el capitan" and the problem persist...i was contacted the team support and they don't find the solution ....my version of El Capitan is 10.11.1 and i have a McBook pro retina 15"

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 1:27 PM

6 replies

Nov 26, 2015 1:44 PM in response to Bruxelros

In previous generations of Dashboard and Widgets, your option(s) may have included

the ability to remove a widget and re-download a new one from Apple or another maker.

https://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/

{Within the Dashboard application, you may be able to find something suitable; but

I did not. By removing the original first, it may just disappear entirely. I haven't done

that in any of my Macs across various OS versions. I used to have a widget that

could turn off the entire Dashboard. It helped, as all those items would be re-set.}

https://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/dashquit.html

Given certain changes in the OS X over recent years, this idea may still work.

A few other ideas may include seeing if a second user account has same issue.

Or if a reset of the NVPRAM may (or not) be of help. Not sure where the settings

may reside or hide in the matter of the widget's choosing incorrect city locations.

Problems with weather widget goes back to OS X 10.5 for older models and as I have

some vintage Macs, I see them occasionally revert to the default, Cupertino, CA...

And when my choice of a local town reverts or won't stick, I try any other zip code

that may work for the area; or in anywhere outside of California; if I feel it's a test!

Good luck in this matter, the issue may be tedious 😐

Nov 27, 2015 3:54 AM in response to Bruxelros

Not sure if using Activity Monitor to force-quit the Dashboard application may help.

The included Weather widget in OS X over several years, has defaulted to Cupertino.

However I usually rely on much better weather products than a widget or commercial

source can provide; but reading several pages of text, viewing radar & satellite loops

and other details take time. Where I live, weather is an important factor. Very much so.

Old DashQuit3.0 widget (from earlier OS X 10.5.x?) is still in an Apple Dashboard

Downloads page online, but the security settings in OS X 10.9.5 won't let me open

or launch the Widget now that the .zip file is open on my desktop. The item works

fine in my antique first-model MacBook1.1 with Leopard 10.5.8 & in other PPC G4.

Get Info on the Dashquit widget tells me the version 3.0 was last modified in 2008.

I'm not into installing this old Widget tonight, it's now near 3 AM AKST & I'm tired...

But I'm curious enough to consider trying it later on sometime, to see if it may work.😎

Nov 28, 2015 8:16 PM in response to K Shaffer

After some time away from the Dashquit item, I was able to download another copy

from the link I posted above (even though the built-in Dashboard app was unable to

find the same one the official link goes to) and get an OK'd download that does work

of the 2008 widget named Dashquit_3.0 and it interrupts the dashboard & resets it.

Not sure what else it does, but apparently some caches are emptied that affect the

Finder window & other user interface items, at least in my Mac's Mavericks 10.9.5...

As a result, application and interface items load a little faster, windows too. I could

not tell if a noticeable amount of RAM was freed-up, or what was affected. There

were no adverse effects from its use. And it may not work in El Capitan. Some of

the return of faster interface experienced after Dashquit 'quit the Dashboard' may

be similar to a full restart of the computer if it hasn't been done in awhile. {I mention

this because my Macs may go a month or two without a restart; given UPS battery

power backup units and power filters that are in place. In winter, grid outages can

force me to shut down the computers.} In past decades, I had a backup generator

to keep my macs and house energized; but no generator is present in this location.

There may be a command-line method or an interface utility method to attempt reset

or to shut down the Dashboard; maybe a tool in OnyX (titanium software) may do it.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/info.html -- OnyX creator main page

My older Mac OS X versions have been used with OnyX, but not the newer ones;

as there are various items that may be adversely affected by using that utility.

If nothing else, I guess to not bother with Dashboard or widgets may do as much! 🙂

Feb 2, 2016 4:15 AM in response to Charlotte5s

The Terminal or command-line modification can be troublesome

to perform, as the results can be testy or damaging if done wrong.

About: https://github.com/gonzalorodrigo/osxcalendarwidget

This item suggested -- from link you posted -- is a modification to

the OS X; one has to also know how to 'undo' it correctly if needed.

The main problem appears to be when the widget became a Yahoo

product for later model OS X versions; you may be able to copy an

old widget from earlier OS X, but likely it won't work if not also made

to run in both. Some I've tried do work in Mavericks when borrowed

from Leopard 10.5.8 taken from my G4 Mini.

There seems to be a problem, perhaps re-occurring with servers or

the source, since the weather widget of this design has faults at

times even in the older OS X versions, in Intel + PPC OS X builds.

I'd found by re-setting all widgets, (using DashQuit) the widgets

are more stable when they re-load. In 10.9.5, and also 10.5.8 PPC.

The command-line fix may work; may be difficult to test if the server

contributes to the end result. Just saying, it may be a fix. If you can tell.😐

weather widgets on dashboard not working I need help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.