Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't i receive any messages on my mac when its turned off?

Every time I close my laptop, i get no messages when I open it but I receive all of them on my iPod.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 11:45 AM

6 replies

Nov 26, 2015 12:49 PM in response to fabulously.scarlett

Hi,

I think you were trying to say that the Mac version of Messages does not play "catch up" when it is either Started Up or wakes from sleep.

As you mention an iPod then the presumption is that they are iMessages.

Is there an iPhone in this set up ?

From what you post it would seem only an Apple ID is involved.

The server should "copy" an iMessage and try to push it to each device that is registered.

This continues until the device accepts it.

There is no access from any other device to this process so you can delete it from the iPod (or iPhone) and it will still turn up on the Mac.

There is no Setting to turn Off this "OFF Line Messaging" effect like there is for an AIM or Jabber account.

Can you confirm it is an iMessages account that you are having issues with ?

Can you confirm if it is just waking from Sleep or just on Start up that this happens ?

At the moment I cannot see why this is happening from the info you have posted.

User uploaded file

8:49 pm Thursday; November 26, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Nov 27, 2015 11:50 AM in response to fabulously.scarlett

Hi,

So in Messages > Preferences > Accounts is the iMessages account the only Active one ?

There should also be a Bonjour ones even if you have set nothing else up. By default this account is not active.

If it is active can you go to the General Preferences Pane.

In the bit below the Text size is the item about "When I Quit, set my Status as Off Line" ticked (it applies to sleep as well.) ?

You can only see this far down the pane if there is an Active account that uses A Buddy List.

User uploaded file

This about Buddy List accounts like the Bonjour one and should not effect the iMessages account but I am looking for possibles.

Back in the Accounts pane can you Sign Out of the iMessages account and then Quit the App.

Restart the app the app and re-add the Apple ID.

If this does not work Restart the Computer whilst holding down the CMD+ALT+P+R keys until you have heard Three Start Up Bongs - then let the start up continue normally.

This is an NVRAM reset.

User uploaded file

7:50 pm Friday; November 27, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 10, 2016 7:28 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you for a while.

As far as I know, there is nothing set up for my buddy system. I can't turn anything on or off and am at loss if i need to set it up to help.

The bonjour account is currently inactive but when i turned it on, it didn't do anything to help the situation.

Maybe it's because of my storage? It is almost always full for some unknown reason. I am getting it looked at tomorrow at an Apple Store.🙂

Jan 10, 2016 9:19 AM in response to fabulously.scarlett

Messages can't receive updates when the computer is off/asleep because it doesn't have access to the Internet. Ralph asked whether the messages load after the computer is awake - do they?

Try re-indexing Spotlight.

Spotlight – Re-index

Disk Space - Free Up

Disk Space – Free Up (2)

Disk Space - Free Up - Mavericks

Disk Space Filling Up – OmniDiskSweeper

Disk Space Filling Up - WhatSize

Jan 10, 2016 12:11 PM in response to fabulously.scarlett

Hi,

The Bonjour Account Automatically looks for other Macs on your LAN that also have iChat or Messages with the Bonjour account active.

However that is not the important bit.

Once activated it opens up the General Section of the Preferences which means you can then set the app to actually log out of some services that you might be logged into.

It also gives you access to more of the Menu items (but in turn they only apply to Buddy Lists).

In early versions of Messages the "When I Quit, Set the Status to Off Line" also effects the iMessages account.

It does not do so in later versions.

If the Bonjour Account has never been active then this setting cannot have been made and the iMessages account should get all iMessages that were sent while it was Off line.

There seemed to be a time limit of only a few days when Messages first included the iMessages Account. Since then I have experienced a 7 day catch up myself and seen posts for a 9 day one and and 11 day one (one post each).

If it is not "loading" the ones there you know were sent while it was Off Line does it get new ones that are sent when it is Awake and ON ?

The Disk can claim it is full is certain apps are in use such as iMovie during Editing and Photoshop (or Elements) or other photo enhancing apps that can have multiple Undos.

Each "version" is stored in the so called Unused space on the Disk until there is no more space or the app is Quit.

On Quit most well written apps will relinquish control of the free space it was using. Some do not and the disk seemingly loses more and more space which you cannot track down.

I am sure he Links Eric has provided will help with that.

From your Post in the other thread I take it you have excluded Blocked Contacts ?

User uploaded file

8:11 pm Sunday; January 10, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Why can't i receive any messages on my mac when its turned off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.