Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrade ram Imac 21,5

Hello. I bought a few days ago an imac 21.5 with 8 gigs of ram. I realized that I need to expand the memory, but I read somewhere that it is not possible to upgrade the RAM. And 'possible or not?

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 1:29 PM

11 replies

Feb 23, 2016 8:41 AM in response to greywolfe

I too faced the same problem. Unfortunately I can do the return part. wondering what to do. Called up the customer care they said we cant upgrade and there would be no performance impact. but the photos and some applications takes a lil time to load. The apple site seems a little deceiving as it states expandable upto 16GB. They havent put the condition that after purchase of the system with 8GB we cant upgrade

Feb 23, 2016 10:31 AM in response to Ranjithmpv

It doesn't help you that the 1TB drive in your new iMac is only a 5400 RPM laptop standard hard drive.

Access is significantly slower than the access times from a 7200 RPM drive, despite whatever benchmark specs will get thrown at you.

7200 RPM drives ARE significantly faster than their 5400 RPM counterparts.

Plus,

You may, indeed, still need more RAM.

The baseline 8 Gbs of installed RAM is mostly for the operating system to give optimal performance, if you use any type of CPU, GPU and/or RAM intense applications, 8 GBs of RAM may still not be enough.

An SSD or Fusion Drive only speeds up access times from the drive giving the appearance of a faster Mac.

For any type of resource intensive applications, CPU, GPU AND RAM are still factors to consider.

So, the iMac you are using, depending on the type of applications you use, may still need additional RAM.

Feb 23, 2016 10:34 AM in response to MichelPM

I use it to run MS-Office, some photography and then music work. I called up the service centre and they said its not possible as directed by Apple INC as the RAM is soldered onto the mother board. If you look at their website it states configurable upto 16GB for this model. And hence I was off the impression that we can upgrade later. I was trying to get hold of their email address but no luck. Basically was wanting more information on this. What to do if I need to upgrade?

Feb 23, 2016 10:50 AM in response to Ranjithmpv

I know all about the newer style 21 inch iMac models.

If you are past the 14 day return period, then you would need to sell your current iMac and use the financial proceeds to use toward a new iMac with the specs you really need.

If you have someone or yourself break into that iMac to perform anything, you void your current AppleCare warranty and void any future purchase of extended AppleCare to extend your iMac's warranty to another two years.

upgrade ram Imac 21,5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.