Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I best transfer data to replacement drive?

I'm planning to buy a bigger solid state drive for my MBP. I know how to physically replace my current SSD, but what is the best way to transfer all my data?

Can I just do a full time machine backup, then install the new drive, then use internet recovery to restore from the time machine backup? Would it work even though my OS has been updated multiple times since I got the machine?

Also, sub-question...what would be the best way to wipe my old drive? I read you can't securely erase an SSD the same way you can an HDD. Also could I somehow properly erase it between when I make the full backup and when I replace the drive?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2012 non-retina 15"

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 9:17 AM

Buy an external enclosure with your new SSD. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer everything- it is a bootable clone. Then you just swap out the drives.

The old drive can go in the enclosure as backup.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/Y3SSD6X480/

2 replies

Nov 27, 2015 9:20 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hey, thanks. I bought an enclosure like you suggested. I also discovered when you suggested cloning that Disk Utility can clone too. But, I have two partitions, one OSX and one Boot Camp with Windows 7. I hear both Carbon Copy and Disk Utility can only clone one. How do I go about cloning two partitions? Can I partition the new drive first, then clone each of my current partitions one at a time or will this not work?

How do I best transfer data to replacement drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.