Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'You are not connected to the Internet'

On my iMac I am using El Capitan, but this problem has been happening since Yosemote. When I start my computer after putting it to sleep, I get a "you are not connected to the Internet' message. After a few clicks in Network Diagnostics establishing my network, etc. I'm good to go. This is getting tiresome, although I never actually have any trouble connecting to the Internet, I just have to go through this rigmarole each time. What's up?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8), My folders have 3 question marks

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 1:19 PM

2 replies

Nov 26, 2015 1:30 PM in response to morvenfromca

Not sure what your question would have to do with one of the Apple routers shown below that we support in this forum.....the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Time Capsule. Are you using one of these routers?

User uploaded file

If not, you may receive a much faster and more informed answer if you post your question in the support forum for your iMac. The link is just below.

iMac

In the meantime, you might want to try the following on your iMac:

Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Network

Click on WiFi on the left panel to highlight it

Click Advanced at the lower right of the window

Here you will see a list of networks to which your iMac has connected in the past

Click on the name of a network to highlight it, then click the - (minus) button at the bottom of the list to delete the connection

Do the same for every other network, so that the box is blank when you are done

Click OK at the lower right of the window

On the next window that appears, click Apply

Close the windows and restart the iMac

Try to log onto your network again to see if the new settings will hold. You will have to enter the password to connect the first time that you connect.

Nov 26, 2015 1:32 PM in response to morvenfromca

Clear out all the old names of the wireless networks from the network preferences for wifi.

Power off the computer and power on again.. rediscover the wireless network and type in the password.

Also for upgrade install of OS, do a reset of NVRAM and SMC.. this is really important as various stuff goes get stored wrongly in longer term memory of the computer that occasionally needs clearing.

Reset the NVRAM/PRAM/SMC..

Finally a Clean install of the OS is also helpful if you upgrade installed.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7306452?answerId=29202159022#29202159022&ac_cid=ha123456#29202159

'You are not connected to the Internet'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.