Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV responds, doesn't respond (?)

This past spring, my family purchased a factory-refurbished AppleTV box direct from Apple. It was the latest generation before the new voice-controlled version came out.

By and large, my family's experiences with the AppleTV have been satisfactory. However, I'm posting this today because of a recent problem.

The AppleTV usually remains plugged-to my family's HDTV set via HDMI. Occasionally, my family will use an iPad Mini (2013 model, refurb) to play some video (via AirPlay) that was shot with the iPad Mini. They also play certain streaming videos (mostly YouTube) from a late-model MacBook Pro with Retina Display. While it is set up in the family home, the AppleTV seems to work reliably. The option to use AirPlay appears in the menu bar on the laptop and also in the slide-up menu on the iPad with no difficulty.

On Thanksgiving Day, I accompanied my family to a dinner with relatives who live many miles away. My family brought along their laptop and I brought the iPad. I plugged the AppleTV into the relatives' HDTV via HDMI and played video off of the iPad. It took a couple of tries to get the iPad to recognize there was an AppleTV in the room (about 2 yards away), but once there two devices had their handshake, it worked flawlessly.

Then we brought out the MacBook Pro. It was a different story. The whole time we were there, the AirPlay icon never appeared on the laptop's menu bar. We tried using the iPad again, and the iPad and AppleTV recognized each other immediately and we had the iPad video on the TV screen immediately. We disengaged the AirPlay and the TV went black. We restarted the AppleTV and the laptop, but no AirPlay icon. After playing around with the laptop for quite a while, we were forced to give up. We could not get any kind of AirPlay communication between the laptop and the AppleTV.

This is bizarre and frustrating. We have no idea what went wrong. It would have been easier to bring along the necessary cables and adaptors to plug the laptop directly into the TV. Why did this happen?

HARDWARE:

AppleTV (pre-voice command version)

brand-new high-quality HDMI cable from Monoprice

iPad Mini (2013 version, currently running iOS 9.1)

MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 13-inch, Core i5, running MacOS 10.9.5

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 13", Core i5 2.4, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 4:12 PM

2 replies

Nov 26, 2015 4:26 PM in response to Walt_Atwood

I'd be almost certain it's a problem with whoever's network you were using. Below is a boilerplate I post when I see people post with similar problems. It isn't uncommon for posters to dismiss the possibility that there is a problem with their network or for them to become quite annoyed that it should be suggested, in your case though you have demonstrated yourself how it works quite differently in another location.

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

Nov 26, 2015 4:38 PM in response to Winston Churchill

While visiting my relatives' house, I did notice quite a bit of WiFi activity.

The relatives have a secure WiFi, plus a "guess network" that we could use. The MacBook also reported the existence of several other WiFi networks in the neighborhood (the relatives' home is in the middle of a village with numerous houses closeby) so that could also be an issue. I tried to update some iPad apps on the relatives' WiFi "guest" network, but I could not do it so I gave up.

The only electrical equipment nearby was the TV, set-top box under the TV, DVD player, lamps and our Apple gadgets. Kitchen appliances and the like were at least 5 to 8 yards away in another room. I don't know where the relatives' WiFi hotspot was located.

My relatives are mostly techno-illterate and quick to admit it.

Thanks for the pointers.

AppleTV responds, doesn't respond (?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.