Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

controlling bubble size in bubble chart

How does one control the size of the bubbles that are drawn in a bubble chart? From what I can tell from limited experimentation is that Numbers automatically picks the sizes it displays, scaling the bubble area (or diameter) so that the largest value in the weight series is shown as the largest bubble, at a fixed size (roughly an inch), with lower values proportionally smaller. (so, for example, the series of weights 1,2,3,4,5 displays exactly the same as 10,20,30,40,50, and if you display, say, only 30,40,50 you get three bubbles the same sizes as the last three of those). Is there any way to change things so that the largest bubble is a different size -- say 1/2" or even 1/4"?

Ted Lee

Minnetonka, MN

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 5:14 PM

12 replies

Nov 26, 2015 8:21 PM in response to Theodore Lee

Theodore Lee wrote:

How does one control the size of the bubbles that are drawn in a bubble chart?

As far as I can tell the way to vary the size of the bubbles is to drag the chart larger or smaller, perhaps also adjusting Max and Min for the axis scale.

If you haven't seen it already, recommend having a look at the Bubble Chart example in the Charting Basics template (File > New and select in the template chooser)

SG

Nov 27, 2015 6:48 AM in response to SGIII

Thanks, but that doesn't really help. I don't want to change the size of the chart -- I've already adjusted it to the size I want -- but the size of the bubbles themselves. As best I can tell, there is no way to tell Numbers what size you want for the largest bubble -- it seems to automatically set it to some default size, which can't be changed -- unless somebody knows some trick or setting I haven't been able to find.

Nov 27, 2015 6:54 AM in response to Theodore Lee

Theodore Lee wrote:

As best I can tell, there is no way to tell Numbers what size you want for the largest bubble -- it seems to automatically set it to some default size, which can't be changed

In what way do you think Numbers is picking the "wrong" size for the bubbles? Could you post a screenshot?

In my testing Numbers maintains a good proportionality among the bubble sizes, which I think is a good thing. If for some reason I wanted to emphasize the largest bubble (i.e. make it disproportionately large relative to the others) I'd probable adjust the value in the table on which the chart is based.

SG

Nov 27, 2015 7:09 AM in response to SGIII

The proportionality is fine. All I want to do is have the largest bubble not be as large as it comes out by default. Right now it comes out at about an inch. I want it to be at least as small as a quarter of inch, perhaps even smaller. I'm trying to draw a chart showing the correlation between two variables with differing weights for the observations, so I want pretty small sizes for the bubbles.

Nov 27, 2015 7:31 AM in response to Theodore Lee

Hi Ted,

I'm trying to draw a chart showing the correlation between two variables with differing weights for the observations

I think we need more information before we can help you. Please tell us what the two variables are (perhaps X and Y?) and the weights or observations (perhaps the bubble size?)

Please post a screen shot (or copy part of your table and paste into a reply).

More information will lead to a solution 🙂.

Regards,

Ian.

Nov 27, 2015 9:58 AM in response to Badunit

Badunit wrote:

From what I can tell, if you add one more value to your table that has no X or Y, just a "bubble size", and you make that size bigger than all the sizes of the real data, the bubbles shown on the chart will be smaller than before.

That works here. Thanks!

(I tried to make the bubbles bigger than the default too, by putting in a smaller size than all the sizes of the real data, but that doesn't seem to work.)

SG

controlling bubble size in bubble chart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.