Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated software on 2006 mac mini now won't boot up

Updating the grandma's software on the mac mini running OS 10.6.8. It downloaded all updates but then had issues with restart to load updates. Used power button to shut down and then restart. Machine came up and ran updates. Upon next restart after updates now the machine won't boot up at all. The apple comes up then goes to blue screen and shows the spinning wheel. Weird thing is the wheel spins about 5 times and disappears then reappears and does the same thing but the machine will not finish booting to get to desktop. Can't start off of install disk either. Tried holding shift key on restart, tried command-R and everything else I've read in here about it and nothing is working. Help please!

It would do this on a holiday 😐

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 2:07 PM

6 replies

Nov 26, 2015 3:05 PM in response to Kimberly-__

- Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Try starting in Safe Mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

- What happens when yo try to boot from the SL install DVD? Command + R is Recovery mode and is Lion and later.

- If it is repairable reinstall the OSX

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

Nov 27, 2015 3:31 PM in response to lllaass

Preliminary result from the Genius Bar is the hard drive is dead. Doesn't surprise me. It is a 2006 mini. The 2009 mini that I gave my mom had to have a new hard drive put in a few months ago. So we decided to just get the grandma a new Mac Mini. We're setting it up now. I'll take the old mini home with me (we live out of state from the grandma) and have it looked at more thoroughly. It probably is the hard drive though.

Updated software on 2006 mac mini now won't boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.