Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Had my iPhone stolen while on holiday, help would be much appreciated!

background: I was on holiday and had my iPhone 6 stolen. It had find my iPhone turned on and was password protected etc. Stupidly, I didn't have any kind of insurance for it. I went to the police station the morning after this happened and they said it's common place in the area for this to happen. Most likely the phone will be wiped and resold in Africa somewhere. When I got back to my hotel, I checked find my iPhone and it was showing the phone was already at an airport in a neighbouring country. So I called Apple and explained my situation, as well as my carrier, and concluded that the best thing now would be to just erase the phone and count my losses. I did this and it disappeared from find my iPhone. Since then I've bought a new phone and had a replacement SIM provided. I still have the same number etc.

Today (about a month on from the incident), I received a telephone call on my home landline number (completely unaffiliated with my mobile number). There was a SMS message which read out along the lines of "stolen iPhone found, please visit https://apple.........." you get the idea. I also received an email at the same time with the following contents:

« Damiano Sandri iPhone » was found at 11:17 p.m. near this location: washington, district downtown usa .

The last reported location for your iPhone will remain available for 24 hours.

View location

User uploaded file

iCloud est un service fourni par Apple. Identifiant Apple| Assistance| Conditions générales| Engagement de confidentialité

Copyright © 2015 Apple Distribution International, Hollyhill Industrial Estate, Hollyhill, Cork, Republic of Ireland. Tous droits réservés.

I'm from the UK so obviously the foreign language and complete lack of information in the call I got made me skeptical as to the nature of this all. However, the links at the bottom of the email do direct to genuine Apple pages (I understand this can be included in a fake email!). But I just wanted to make sure that I am correct in assuming this is all false and isn't actually anything genuine. In which case, surely that means whoever did take my phone has managed to access all that information (my home number and email etc.) despite me erasing the phone within a few hours of it being taken and should I be worried about this? How should I proceed!? Any advice would be much appreciated.

stolen

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 3:14 PM

Yes it is a phishing scam. Apple does not get involved in any way with lost or stolen devices. They do not search for them nor do they retrieve them and return them to owners.

see apple's policy at Report a lost or stolen Apple product - Apple Support

p.s. While a remote erase would make the device non-trackable the anti-theft activation lock feature remains in effect so nobody can, in fact, activate and use that device.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2015 3:14 PM in response to GM13London

Yes it is a phishing scam. Apple does not get involved in any way with lost or stolen devices. They do not search for them nor do they retrieve them and return them to owners.

see apple's policy at Report a lost or stolen Apple product - Apple Support

p.s. While a remote erase would make the device non-trackable the anti-theft activation lock feature remains in effect so nobody can, in fact, activate and use that device.

Had my iPhone stolen while on holiday, help would be much appreciated!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.