Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook OS X tiger Airport connection No Browser Internet

Hello,

I have here a friend"s macbook . It connects to a wifi network

But Safari says "You are not connected to the internet "

Then i start the diagnostics networkinfo its runs the whole way

and at the end it says "you have internet"

and indeed google opens.....

But when i want to search something it starts over

Firefox, Opera also no connection

Whole day i have been doing the things what pops up when i search the internet

with my own laptop who is working without probs, sorry its a win pc

like deleting preferences.plist. airport assistent,

cleaning safari etc...

but nothing works.

what diagnostics does is only for one page, i am confused

Thank you for your time.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), software update complete

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 3:06 PM

9 replies

Nov 26, 2015 4:26 PM in response to NovaZembla

Hi. First go to utilities/ disk utilities/ click on drive/ the second indented drive/ repair permissions. Go to system preferences/ advanced/airport and delete he wifi connection in the box Make sure the(remember networks this computer has joined is checked) and at the bottom right click ok and close system preferences. Then go to the top right menu and click on airport. If off turn on. It you do not see your network Click on join other networks. If nothing shows in the box . click show network. Fill out the box with network name and password ,also encryption. Make sure the encryption is right. Check remember in keychain and join.

Nov 27, 2015 3:37 PM in response to NovaZembla

It's system preferences/ network/ in wifi/advanced/ airport/in the box of preferred networks/delete the preferred networks/ check remember networks this computer has joined. Then close out of system preferences and go to the top right menu. With airport on click on the WIFI icon and then click on join other networks.A box will show up where you can add back the network with network name, password and encryption. Check remember this network.

Nov 27, 2015 5:53 PM in response to my ginger

hi ginger

Did what you told

strange things happening............

first of all i open google is OK search for something OK open a url from the searches Ok

then it stops suddenly when i try to open a link

strangely enough i can go back in history and it opens fine

when a new link doesnot open " saying no connection" and i change to another wifi accesspoint

it opens with no problems after a few surfing pages it stuck again

i can go back i history as before but no new url" s

changing again will open fine

so after a few pages connection stops

switching activates etc .............its a loophole

help help....

Nov 27, 2015 7:29 PM in response to NovaZembla

Are you talking about google chrome or the google search engine in safari? If it's google chrome, you can, in chrome go to the right upper corner and click on the box. Then from the drop down menu go to settings, then advance at the botton. Then at the bottom use reset defaults. In safari, go to the safari at the top left click on safari and then on reset safari. If it's the router settings, it could be that you have a router the will run a 5 g and 2.4 g and it's set for automatic. If so you will need to get into the router and change the settings to the 2.4g If the router is a new one it will probably Run in 802.11 b,802.11g and n, but the older Macbooks only run b and g Check the settings on the router in wifi. Also turn off WPS unless you have to have it for a devise that uses 802.11. Under wireless channel you can leave it automatic or if there is a lot of WIFI activity close by, you might want to set a channel near the high or low end.

Nov 28, 2015 11:10 AM in response to my ginger

connected to an ethernet cable there is signal but safari cannot open any url

i checked the cable on another laptop

Noticed that the wifi stopping is time related

Is a re install an option?

although i don" t know if my friend has the installations cd" s

anywhere online maybe?

although i could check my router

it"s not user friendly because when moving to another wifi access point you have to do with whats in the air?

Nov 28, 2015 11:45 AM in response to NovaZembla

Have you tried repairing permissions in disk utilities? Have you tried starting in safe mode to see if internet works there. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262 Have you tried reseting the pram. Command/Option/P/R keys and power button held down for three chimes. Can you get or send mail in the mail account? If you can then go to the upper left corner in safari ,click on safari and about safari. Then note the version of safari you are running.Use your Mac. Go to system preferences on both mac's open file sharing and turn them on.Then on your Mac at the top in the go menu click on that and connect to server. Then browse. Then click on the other Mac. You may have to inter the Mac name and password. It should show up on you screen. Then you go to the Apple website click on support. Go to the bottom and click on downloads and updates. Click on browse by product, then type in safari and the version that you made note of. Download it and transfer it to the other Mac I would put the download in the desktop folder in users. On the Macbook with internet problems open and install the download. You are reinstalling safari to see if that is the problem.

Nov 28, 2015 4:12 PM in response to my ginger

in safe mode diagnostics says you may have internet but safari cannot display www.google.com etc...

started up with the 3 chimes no change

mail account couldnt check because old account

so i did another random search and found this

http://www.macworld.com/article/2028982/mac-troubleshooting-what-to-do-when-you- cant-connect-to-the-internet.html

and Number 6 did the trick. just 2 rows of numbers

it was unbelievable after 3 days

But anyways thanks for the support

Greetz from The Netherlands

Macbook OS X tiger Airport connection No Browser Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.