Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enable Guest network in bridged mode in Airport Extreme?

Hi Everyone,

Can we enable guest network in bridged mode in airport extreme. I am using Airport Extreme which is bridged to Airport Express and Airport Extreme.

Another question is, if it can be enable will devices connected to guest network will have the same ip as my main network?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 2:27 PM

12 replies

Nov 26, 2015 2:39 PM in response to samlapnepal

Can we enable guest network in bridged mode in airport extreme.

Unfortunately no, if you are saying that the AirPort Extreme is your "main" AirPort and it is connected to another modem/router or gateway type of device. The AirPort Extreme needs to connect to a simple modem in order for the Guest Network feature to work correctly.....not a modem/router or gateway.

To clarify here.......

What is the make and model number of the device that you call your modem?

Nov 26, 2015 2:45 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob,

Airport Extreme is connected to network switch which is connected to optical fibre.

The main airport extreme is then bridged with one airport express and one airport extreme.

What i am trying to accomplish is to deploy a guest network so people can connect to wifi but not on our internal network.

I was thinking to accomplish it by simply connecting another airport express to one of the network switch and name it guest wifi but the problem is since we are using 10.0.1.x ip range and by default airport express will also assign the same ip range so we might ran out of our IPs. Is there a way to give different ip range for the guest wifi?

Sorry does it make sense?

Nov 26, 2015 3:06 PM in response to samlapnepal

Sorry, but this sounds as if your "main" AirPort Extreme is in Bridge Mode......as it should be since it is connecting to another upstream router......so the Guest Network feature will not work correctly in this type of setup.

If you wanted to connect an AirPort Express or another Apple router to the network, you could set it up to use another IP range......like 192.168.x.x.....but the issue here is that this will create a Double NAT error on the network. How well that might work.....I cannot say.

Enable Guest network in bridged mode in Airport Extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.