Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to factory reset 2011 iMac, but keep both Mac OS X and Windows 10 partitions?

Hey guys. I've got a 2011 iMac. I've got the 1TB HD partitioned as 2 500gig drives, one running OS X the other running Windows 10. I'm wondering if there's any way I can factory reset both drives individually, or if the partition will be erased when I factory reset OS X?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 5:27 PM

Factory resetting isn't the same as reformatting one of the partitions.

If you erase the Mac OS X partition as part of performing a clean installation of Mac OS X, the Windows partition will normally remain as is, but should be backed up anyway.

An actual factory reset requires removing the Windows partition, which erases its contents. These are typically done before selling or giving away the computer.

(136623)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2015 5:27 PM in response to mainfocus89

Factory resetting isn't the same as reformatting one of the partitions.

If you erase the Mac OS X partition as part of performing a clean installation of Mac OS X, the Windows partition will normally remain as is, but should be backed up anyway.

An actual factory reset requires removing the Windows partition, which erases its contents. These are typically done before selling or giving away the computer.

(136623)

How to factory reset 2011 iMac, but keep both Mac OS X and Windows 10 partitions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.