Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lock/ unlock switch gone

I Upgraded to iOs9.1 this morning. After installing I noticed that the lock button or "wake/ sleep" button wasn't working anymore. I can still take screenshots and power down the iPad if needed. Before in the past when I've experienced this problem there was a button in the General settings for a lock/unlock switch. That is no longer there. Even under the assistive touch the locking and unlocking doesn't work. Where did the switch go???

iPad 2, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 5:35 PM

11 replies

Nov 26, 2015 9:43 PM in response to Dan on the Cob

Dan on the Cob wrote:

After installing I noticed that the lock button or "wake/ sleep" button wasn't working anymore. I can still take screenshots and power down the iPad if needed.

These two sentences contradict each other. If the first sentence is correct, take your iPad to an Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service Center for an assessment and advice about next steps. If the second sentence is correct, then the first one is not.

Nov 28, 2015 8:19 AM in response to sberman

Let me rephrase the above. The button will not "lock" or put the iPad to sleep or awake the iPad when I want it to. I don't have a smart cover, so when i am done using it I want to lock it. The button will function with screen shots and if you hold it down for a few seconds it will prompt the shut down slide. There was a Smart Cover Lock or Unlock slide in settings but it is gone now and it is stuck with the smart cover setting on so the button will not awake or sleep the ipad.

Nov 28, 2015 3:24 PM in response to Dan on the Cob

Try a reset. Press and hold the home button until the Apple logo appears. Release both buttons. Wait until your iPad starts on it's on.

I doubt the removal of the cover is the cause of the problem. The lock/unlock button that disappeared when you removed the cover has nothing to do with the physical power button. If you want to try and still have the cover put it back on move the setting to the correct one. You never know.

I would follow sbermans advice and have your iPad checked out at the Apple store.

Until then wake it by tapping the home button and let it go to sleep on it's own.

Nov 30, 2015 3:08 PM in response to Dan on the Cob

Since you restored to factory settings, if you restored as new and did not restore the backup, this might be futile but it will not hurt anything. You could try resetting all settings. You will not lose any data, but all of the device settings will have to be entered again and that includes WiFi network passwords.

IF you restored a backup, then I Would definitely give the settings reset a try. Your backup might have a corrupt setting causing problems.

Lock/ unlock switch gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.