Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I select multiple search results?

iTunes 11 and 12 are useless to me as far as I'm concerned unless I'm missing something. I can't select multiple songs as a result of searching. In iTunes 10 I could search for "boat", for example, and all songs with "boat" in the title (if I chose to search by title only) would be the only songs shown in the library window. I could then select them all and edit as a group if I wanted to.

How the heck do you do that in iTunes 11 and 12? This is why I'm keeping a PPC G5 with iTunes 10 as my main iTunes Master Library. I'm still fine tuning my library and on the one Mac mini running 10.8.5 with iTunes 12.1 is useless as far as using iTunes goes. I can't do anything I want to do in iTunes 12 that I CAN do in iTunes 10. I even tried deleting iTunes 12 and installing iTunes 10 but I found that impossible as I got an error message stating that the OS uses iTunes 12, (I guess in the same way Windows uses Internet Explorer as part of the OS).

As far as this user is concerned OS 10.6 and iTunes 10 were the high point of Apple computing.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Audio Production

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 4:37 PM

3 replies

Nov 27, 2015 8:09 AM in response to Tracy Reynolds

...... I could search for "boat", for example, and all songs with "boat" in the title (if I chose to search by title only) would be the only songs shown in the library window. I could then select them all and edit as a group if I wanted to.

Works fine for me in iTunes 12.3.0. Once the search results are displayed, you can Select All, or you can select multiple individual songs by holding CTRL (I guess that is CMD on the Mac) and clicking the ones you want.

Nov 28, 2015 12:51 AM in response to Tracy Reynolds

It turns out Apple added something to Search that is turned on by default. The search results filter that is accessed by clicking on the icon to the left of the search window shows the choice: Search entire library. This brings up a popup window with the results. When I clicked on a result in the popup window the results went away. If I de-select Search entire library then iTunes only searches the visible playlist the way it used to. Why did they have to change that? Who asked for that? That has frustrated me since iTunes 11 came out.

Nov 28, 2015 5:36 AM in response to Tracy Reynolds

Tracy Reynolds wrote:

It turns out Apple added something to Search that is turned on by default. The search results filter that is accessed by clicking on the icon to the left of the search window shows the choice: Search entire library. This brings up a popup window with the results. When I clicked on a result in the popup window the results went away.

When that pop-up appears, click on the blue bar "Filter Music for Boat" (see below) and, assuming you are in Songs view, you will see a list of just the boat songs. From that list you can Select All, or click individual items.

User uploaded file

How do I select multiple search results?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.