Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Fkeys

How do I get my keyboard back to the settings it used to have? I used to be able to use the play/pause *F8*, forward *F9* and back *f7* keys on top to go thru music on iTunes on my mac. I loved it, it was great. The other day, I tried Google Play's mini player, which was nice, but now the keys I mentioned above only work with Google Play. I can still change volumes, but that's it. I've restarted. I've tried un-pairing and re-pairing my keyboard. I've reset all the keyboard options in the mac settings. I've gone through iTunes preferences. I've deleted the Google Play Music app. Nothing is getting the keys to work with iTunes. Anyone have any advise?

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 6:11 PM

1 reply

Nov 28, 2015 7:34 AM in response to tattooedfay

Hello tattooedfay,
Sorry to hear that your media keys aren't working on your Mac. Let's see if we can get that sorted out.
One thing you mention was reseting the keyboard options. Are you referring to resetting the shortcut options to default? If you haven't done that, then I would recommend that. You can do that in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts and click on Restore Defaults. Take a look at the link below for more details.
OS X El Capitan: Use global keyboard shortcuts
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21531

Also, make sure that "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" is un-checked in System Preferences > Keyboard. For more information on this, see How to change the behavior of function keys on your Mac.
Another option is if you are using Chrome as your web browser, an extension might have taken control of the media keys. Look at the extensions' keyboard shortcuts in the extensions settings to see if an app is solely using the media keys.
Let me know if the helps or need further assistance on getting the media keys working again.
Take care

Keyboard Fkeys

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.