Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite spotlight search in wrong position

If you look the attached image you'll see that the spotlight search popups above the starting of the screen.. cannot move it or make it centered again... any clues??

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 6:31 PM

5 replies

Nov 28, 2015 6:42 AM in response to sebadom

Hi sebadom,

Thank you for contributing to the Apple Support Communities. I see that Spotlight appears partially off the screen.

My first thought--have you changed the display resolution recently or used any apps (like games) that might have changed the resolution?

First, try to adjust your display’s resolution. You may want to set it to "default for display" if it isn't already.

If adjusting the resolution doesn't help, next reset the NVRAM (also called PRAM) on your MacBook Pro. For help with this, see How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac.

Let us know if these steps have any effect on the situation, and we can try a few more things if we need to.

Cheers.

May 28, 2016 6:44 PM in response to sebadom

As jeremy_v stated, various things can cause this. I may have a simpler solution though. If you didn't know, you can reset the position of the Spotlight window quickly and easily by clicking & holding the Spotlight icon in the upper right of your Menu Bar. Now, when you call it back up (command+space bar), it should be in the center of your screen.

Aug 3, 2016 7:43 AM in response to sebadom

Just click and drag the spotlight modal. If you click towards the end of the box or just above the magnifying glass, you'll see you can drag it around.

It will snap to the center of the y-axis and allow you to move it up or down the Y axis, or freely move it around the screen. It seems though, that there is no actual center-point (x&y) snap point.

Yosemite spotlight search in wrong position

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.