Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus from Boot Camp?

Hey all,

I'm looking at purchasing an iMac for my dad, but since he uses Corel Draw for a screen printing business, he'll have to use boot camp for that program. My question is - if he only uses the OS X partition for internet usage and Windows for his artwork, could the OS X partition contract a Windows virus that would affect the Windows partition? I've been purely an OS X user and havent had any experience with how boot camp actually works and what vulnerabilities it may or may not have. Thanks ahead!

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 5:41 PM

3 replies

Nov 26, 2015 10:09 PM in response to GeeCee89

Apple HFS+ file systems are readable from a Bootcamp/Windows installation since Apple provides a driver. It is also possible to 'steal' OS X files if a suitably-crafted piece of code is installed on the Windows side. Treat the Windows installation like a normal PC for Virus-related decisions. As Allan Eckert suggests, an AV software is a must on a BC/Windows installation.

Virus from Boot Camp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.