Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

frozen at booting

Exactly what happened:

1. Using my MacBook Pro 13' Retina 2013, I plugged in my SD card to transfer pictures to an external hard drive by dragging and dropping them into the finder window of the external hard drive. It wouldn't allow it to be transfered and said it had an error code -8????? So I tried once more.

2. I got frustrated and decided to work on a different task. I began uploading some movies to my Google drive to watch on my phone. I decided then that I should just restart my laptop in hopes of ever getting the pics off my SD card.

3. I restarted my laptop. It got to the user login page just fine.

4. I typed in my password just fine.

5. The progress bar was well on its way to logging me in.

6. At about 3/4's of the way It stops and shows a spinning wheel signifying a longer wait and then the spinning wheel simply stops and everything is frozen at that point.

7. I hold down the power button and do it all over again and arrive at the se exact point of loading when it freezes again. I try this multiple times with now success of actually finishing the loading bar and being signed in.

How do I get back on to my laptop at this point? I've got a research paper and pics to edit through the software found only on my laptop. Someone please explain what's going on and how to fix it step by step

Thank you!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 1:41 PM

Called Apple support: 1-800-275-2273, and turns out I needed to reinstall the current operating system (El Capitan OS X 10.11.11).

If you are experiencing the same issue or similar issue follow these steps:

1. Shut down your macbook by holding down the power button until the screen shuts off (about a few seconds)

2. Get ready to hold down "command" + "R" at the same time once you've pressed the power button to turn on. once you hear the laptop turn on quickly press and hold command and R at the same time until the apple symbol shows

3. Once the apple symbol shows up then you may release the holding of command and R

4. Once the loading bar is finished it will bring you to a window that allows you to select a language (select English) and then press the arrow button to continue

5. Select Macintosh HD as the drive to reinstall the operating system. (if you Macintosh HD is locked then simply go to the top drop down menus. click on file or edit and click unlock. Enter your password that you use to login to your laptop, not your apple ID password)

6. Follow the on screen prompts and it should take anywhere from 10-20min to reinstall the systems

7. It automatically restarts and then you should be able to sign in and access all your files and documents unharmed!

As always if your start up continues to freeze or experience more problems just call the support number and their customer service is excellent!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2015 1:41 PM in response to Casalmard

Called Apple support: 1-800-275-2273, and turns out I needed to reinstall the current operating system (El Capitan OS X 10.11.11).

If you are experiencing the same issue or similar issue follow these steps:

1. Shut down your macbook by holding down the power button until the screen shuts off (about a few seconds)

2. Get ready to hold down "command" + "R" at the same time once you've pressed the power button to turn on. once you hear the laptop turn on quickly press and hold command and R at the same time until the apple symbol shows

3. Once the apple symbol shows up then you may release the holding of command and R

4. Once the loading bar is finished it will bring you to a window that allows you to select a language (select English) and then press the arrow button to continue

5. Select Macintosh HD as the drive to reinstall the operating system. (if you Macintosh HD is locked then simply go to the top drop down menus. click on file or edit and click unlock. Enter your password that you use to login to your laptop, not your apple ID password)

6. Follow the on screen prompts and it should take anywhere from 10-20min to reinstall the systems

7. It automatically restarts and then you should be able to sign in and access all your files and documents unharmed!

As always if your start up continues to freeze or experience more problems just call the support number and their customer service is excellent!

frozen at booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.