Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do iMac fans stop when in sleep mode

When the iMac goes into sleep mode do the cooling fans stop, slow down or keep running?

I am guessing they stop but am interested to know.

Thank you.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 7:58 PM

They should stop unless the temperature is excessive.

10 replies

Nov 26, 2015 8:03 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks for your very prompt response. It sort of crossed my mind earlier as we go into summer and right now the ambient temp is quite high. I watch my temps via iStat Pro during the summer months after my previous iMac was affected by high temps and used to go into the blue screen.

I assume the fan speed varies with temp but so far I have not seen an increase in speed so thinking the fans are coping. Temps have risen by 10 deg C from the norm today after giving the system a workout. Normally run in mid 20's but now in mid 30's. Fan speed around 1500rpm.

Do iMac fans stop when in sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.