Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 Boot Camp install won't let me install on BOOTCAMP partition on Mac Pro with SSD drive

Clean install of El Capitan, I have downloaded the Windows 10 x64 ISO and run Boot Camp installer. Once you get to the screen where you select a partition, the BOOTCAMP partition can't be installed on. If I format it and try again, still no luck. Anyone have experience with this problem or a workaround for this?

Thanks,

Patrick

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 256 GB SSD, 12 GB RAM

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 8:08 PM

119 replies

Jan 3, 2018 10:10 PM in response to madirishman

I had the same errors and issue with with High Sierra and Windows 10 - I even clicked Format on the Bootcamp partition and still got no where with the "Next" button...I simply shut down

Heres what I did.

1. Shutdown Stuck Windows Installer
  2. Boot into Mac High Sierra
  3. Open Bootcamp assistant
  4. Click Next
  5. You should see Mac partition as a whole and a Restore button. Click Restore.
  6. After it's finished repartitioning back to all Mac OS, Reopen Boot Camp assistant.
  7. Click Next and see the partition map, now adjust the partition requirements again and continue
  8. Load your ISO from your Mac and let it do it's thing...
  9. This probably didn't affect it but I'm stating it anyway,

At the time it asked for the Windows Key I clicked "I dont have a windows key" as I wanted to take a different path. Well it worked! so this probably had nothing to do with it working but just putting it out there.

10. Choose the type of Windows you want to install (must be x64) Home or Pro doesnt matter.
  11. Choose Bootcamp partition and click Next....

(one other change I made was the ISO itself. Initially I had build (6711) and it failed to install with the error messages shown above, then I changed my ISO to a more older Windows 10 build (1607) = This one worked. I'll upgrade it to the 1709 build later.

Hope it works for you...

Mar 7, 2017 1:42 PM in response to madirishman

But is it possible to install Windows 10 on a partition created onto the fusion drive ? I dit this on my iMac but on my Macbook pro it is not possible to do so via Bootcamp, so I tried manually with the disk utility app, but still get an error. I would prefer to install Windows on it because it is impossible on an usb drive.

Mar 8, 2017 2:28 PM in response to Loner T

Actually, I managed to do it, I don't know how exactly, but I think it was a bug. Though, it should still be reproducable for everyone. I first created a partition on my Fusion Drive. Then I got into Bootcamp and checked the two last options which were "download the latest software from apple" and "delete existing partitions". Then I pressed continue and the partition I created was deleted. Then, instead of forcing me to choose an SSD to install Windows, it let me create a partition on the Fusion Drive. But during all the process my SSD was connected, because else the Macbook would detect that you have no SSD connected so it won't let you install Windows, wether it is on the Fusion Drive or the SSD. I tried to unplug it, because I thought I don't needed it anymore, but it stoped the installation and I had to do all over again, so don't unplug the SSD as long as everything is completed and you're on Windows. That's it. Hope it will still work in the future ! 😉

Mar 18, 2017 6:41 PM in response to madirishman

I have had the same problem every time I install Boot Camp with El Capitan. I solved it by doing two things:

1) Unplug all external USB drives, except for the USB volume I'm booting Windows setup from. I believe the other USB external drives that I have which are formatted for OS X are confusing Windows setup and causing it not to find the NTFS volume for boot camp.

2) Reformat the Boot camp partition with NTFS using the "Format" option from the Windows setup program

Doing both of these allowed me to click next and proceed to the windows install.

Nov 27, 2015 3:53 PM in response to Loner T

Unfortunately, I don't recall now exactly what it said, but it was long the lines of it couldn't install on this partition, and to see the system log for details.

I did manage to work around this by creating a Windows 10 install DVD from the ISO image (and just manually through the Finder, as the Boot Camp Assistant no longer shows the option of creating a boot disk...thank God I still have an external DVD drive laying around). Apparently the new-fangled system which skips having to create a separate disk and uses a temporary partition was part of the problem; simply creating a FAT partition with the Disk Utility and booting with the installer DVD let me format the partition as NTFS and then install without complaint.

Not sure the audio drivers installed properly from the Windows Support files - in Windows 8, I could use the Apple keyboard to adjust the volume, but my line out does nothing in Windows 10 after this install.

Nov 27, 2015 4:25 PM in response to Loner T

I appreciate your attempts to help, Loner T!

This seems to be another one I worked out. The Windows Support stuff had previously hung on the Realtek Audio...and although I had manually run that installer afterwards, I found that only after I followed the steps here (boot camp installation hangs at realtek audio stepSearch or ask a question) did I successfully get line out working with Apple keyboard volume adjustments and Magic Mouse scrolling. Shouldn't have to jump through this many hoops to get this stuff working, but for now, everything seems to be copacetic.

Cheers,

Patrick

Nov 27, 2015 5:54 PM in response to madirishman

I spent whole day trying to solve the problem with either windows 8.1 and windows 10. I managed to install windows 8.1 once, but I run into some issues after upgrading to windows 10 and decided for clean reinstall. Since then, it never worked. I even ended up formatting swap EFI accidentally so I wiped whole fusion drive and reinstalled el captain from the internet ...twice. Once myself, second time with support on another computer's chat.

Few highlights from windows 64-bit installer (both 8.1 or 10):

0) Boot Camp Assistant 6.0.0 (519), El Capitan 10.11.1, iMac late 2015, 2GB fusion

1) Windows can't install on partition prepared by Boot Camp ("Windows can't be installed on drive 0 partition 5. (Show details)" "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS.")

2) When I selected BOOTCAMP partition and did Format (alt+f), Next button became enabled, but when pressed I got different error ("We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files.")

3) Deleting partition and creating new one automatically creates 4 partitions, (error from 2) remains)

4) If you decide return to mac and undo action with boot camp assistant, first remove all automatically generated partitions by windows installer (in 3) or you won't be able to revert without fdisk (some bootcamp assistant error)

5) When you do run boot camp assistant again (after 3) and 4), it displays primary partition smaller and offers you another install (like you lost some space), just proceed and when you'll be able, cancel (stop button). It'll revert your partition to original state and full size.

6) If you choose another approach and just delete BOOTCAMP partition from MS installer and press next without creating New partitions, you'll get one step closer. 4 partitions create without telling you, you'll get to next screen with "Copying Windows files (0%)" but after 10s another error: "Windows detected that the EFI system partition was formatted as NTFS. Format the EFI system partition as FAT32, and restart the installation."

7) Regarding 6): DON'T ever touch any mac or swap partitions via windows installer, NTFS error is ********, you'll end up repartitioning reformatting whole disc if you listen to MS

Now I should find a way how to create MS10 bootable flash drive I suggest...

Windows 10 Boot Camp install won't let me install on BOOTCAMP partition on Mac Pro with SSD drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.