Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xcode won't install/download :'(

Hey!

A bit of history, a long time ago I started the download for Xcode and paused it shortly after to download later. Recently I cancelled it completely.

just this week I've decided ill try to actually download it this time, so I navigate to the App Store, Search 'Xcode' and click on the button 'Install' (strange? install? shouldn't it be 'get' or 'download'?). After hitting install, the app tries to download, I can see its progress amongst the applications in mission control, and in the purchased tab on the app store.

it shoots all the way to 4.3MB then stops, soon after this long pause it sometimes proceeds to download all the way up to 10MB then resets completely back to Zero and loops over and over again until it eventually fails.

I've tried:

• restarting
  • updating OS
  • creating a new user account and downloading from that account
  • clearing the cache in the app store

running a mac pro from November 2011, 4GB Ram, 2.7GHz i7,

thanks heaps! Any help is appreciated heaps 🙂

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 11:28 PM

3 replies

Nov 28, 2015 10:21 AM in response to LindsayS89

Hey LindsayS89,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It looks like the Xcode download isn't completing and you've tried some good troubleshooting steps.

Does the application download appear in Launchpad? If so, try to delete it and then restart the download from the Mac App Store.

Follow these steps while you are logged in with an administrator account:

1. Enter Launchpad.
  2. Click and hold on an icon until you see all icons jiggle.
  3. Click the "x" button in the upper-left of the Mac App Store app icon you want to delete.

Note: If you do not see an "x" button, either the app is not from the Mac App Store or you are logged in as a standard user.

4. Click "Delete" in the confirmation dialog to delete the app.

(From OS X Lion: How to remove Mac App Store apps that appear in Launchpad. The advice works for OS X El Capitan as well.)

Best Regards.

Nov 28, 2015 2:37 PM in response to jeremy_v

Hey!

Yes, Xcode appears in applications, if I delete it and start the download again the same thing just happens. Last night I tried going into debug mode for the App Store and clearing its cache, resetting the App Store, restarting my computer and trying the download again only to have the same results. I also tried safe mode without any success.

Thanks heaps your suggestion though!

Nov 29, 2015 12:46 PM in response to LindsayS89

So, bit of an update for those having the same issue. I ended up getting a mate who had Xcode installed on his lappy alreadh and we just transferred it via a USB to my computer directly into applications. while the program works fine now, I am concerned that because I didn't download it from the App Store that I may not receive the automatic updates pushed. I'll try to remember to comment on here an update of what i find later on down the track.

Xcode won't install/download :'(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.