Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A Mac's RAM usage

Hello. I remember the days when a Mac was happy with 2GB, 4GB, or 8GB of RAM installed. Now my current Mac has 16GB of RAM. I am not saying my Mac is not happy with 16GB of RAM, which is plenty. But I notice that even when running just iTunes, Safari, and Mail, with 3 or 4 Safari windows minimised in the dock, free memory of my system is less than 8GB, or sometimes less than 6GB. Am I right in thinking that the latest Macs, as they are, are designed to use as much as available RAM as possible, so as to optimise performance? So I should not be under the illusion that today's Macs use a lot more RAM doing the same things they used to do with a lot less RAM?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 7:21 PM

3 replies

Nov 26, 2015 7:27 PM in response to snowfish

Am I right in thinking that the latest Macs, as they are, are designed to use as much as available RAM as possible, so as to optimise performance?

Correct. Idle RAM is of no use, you want instantly-available RAM, and that is what Mac OS X is now optimized to provide.

In Activity Monitor, check the memory pane to see the memory Pressure graph. Green is good.

The amount listed as Cache is copies of previously-read data from disk.It is released instantly if needed when an Application makes a request for more RAM. Some RAM may be compressed to save space, and it can be uncompressed and accessed much faster than a disk read.

Nov 26, 2015 7:31 PM in response to snowfish

today's Macs use a lot more RAM doing the same things they used to do with a lot less RAM?

I think your statement is partially correct. But todays Macs do it in a flashier way, with more flourishes, and often more additional features available.

Some of that is just "eye candy" (like translucency), and if you do not use the additional features, there is no additional value provided (e.g., "displays have separate spaces" if you never use it).

But years ago we had no realistic expectation that we could edit movies in essentially real-time.

Nov 26, 2015 7:36 PM in response to snowfish

The MacBook Pro Retina with soldered memory is a special case.

Apple has discovered that soldered RAM is vastly more reliable that DIMMs in sockets, especially with a portable, battery powered computer.

They also found that at huge-volume wholesale prices they pay for RAM chips, there was not a lot of difference to include MUCH more RAM, so that you would not likely be wanting for RAM over the expected life of the product. So 16GB is an option, and it is all soldered to the board with no mechanism for upgrade.

A Mac's RAM usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.