Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 13" Mid 2012 Graphic issues (flickering/Video included)

Hi guys,

a video tells more than a thousand words so here you go and see for yourself

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21464589/MBP_graphic_issue.mp4

This is randomly happening on my GFs MBP 13" mid 2012 with a Intel HD 4000 1536 MB card (El Capitan 10.11.1).

The flickering disappears if I click anywhere outside the at the time active app and returns after a few seconds to sometimes up to 30 minutes.

My GF told me that this flickering isn't always in the same spot and the same pixel size (but it is always horizontal).

Sometimes it even flickers multicolored and yesterday it shut down with a kernel panic she says.

This obviously has to be an issue with the graphics card, right? (You can not see the problem in screenshots so it is not a problem with the display)

Do I have any other options other than taking the MBP to an apple store and pay for a replacement of the graphics card?

This type of MB doesn't seem to be included in the "MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues" 😟

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 13", mid 2012

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 1:54 AM

12 replies

Dec 20, 2015 11:48 AM in response to lynxie

This sounds familiar to all of us that have the Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Check mine. I have also a MBP 13" Mid 2012.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Lately Apple authorized service replaced my logic board because I sent them videos like yours but the problem remains.

I sent it back but their tests can't detect a hardware problem in it.

Check this thread Cold restarts after 10.10.3 update and post your experience.

Did you try the 10.11.2 update?

Dec 20, 2015 12:00 PM in response to lynxie

Do I have any other options other than taking the MBP to an apple store and pay for a replacement of the graphics card?

There is no graphics card in your computer. The gfx function is "intregrated," that is, integral with the processor. The fix, if the gfx system has failed, is a new logic board. If that turns out to be the case, inquire at the Apple Store about a Depot Repair. It takes longer (about one working week) but it is a flat-fee service that will cost less than half of having it replaced in-store. However, this service may not be available if you are outside the US.

Is this a Retina model or the non-Retina (non-Retina has an optical drive) I have the non-Retina 2012 13-inch model running 10.10.2 and have seen no issues with video artifacts. Looking at posts here, the Retina models seem to have more issues that the non-Retinas in general.

Could the computer be overheating? Does it get worse as the computer warms up?

Dec 20, 2015 12:14 PM in response to Allan Jones

I have also the non-Retina MBP 13" Mid 2012. As you can see in this thread Cold restarts after 10.10.3 update

for all of us having the Intel HD Graphics 4000 (MacBook pro, Mac mini, MacBook air) on board start to experience cold restarts andflickeringproblems after the 10.10.3 update.

The flickering appears randomly. I 've checked my system's temperature for a long time and I have no issues in high temperatures.

In contrast it may appear when the machine is really cold.

The funny thing is that if I roll back to 10.10.2 all my flickering and cold restart problems despair.

Try to update your MBP to the latest Mac OS and check for issues.

Dec 20, 2015 12:25 PM in response to -ixen-

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't read the top part of the post. Reading up on this, there are many post on it One had to do with changing the channel the route was using. But that would only apply if it was happening while using the internet. Another fix that worked for some was to do ether a pram or smc reset or both.Pram.Command/option/P/R keys and power button at startup for three chimes. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 If it only happens when using certain programs that could be a clue. And as the other post suggested , it could be from overheating. If a fan problem the smc might correct it.

Dec 20, 2015 12:56 PM in response to -ixen-

-ixen- wrote:

Try to update your MBP to the latest Mac OS and check for issues.

Sorry--mistyped the OS version. Mine is actually fully up to date and working fine:

User uploaded file

What is interesting is, when I bought mine in Summer 2013 (came with 10.8), it came showed 768MB for the shared video memory. Updating to Mavericks without doing anything else moved it to 1028MB. Somewhere in there I upgraded the RAM to 8GB and now it shows 1536MB. Can't help but wonder if the gradual increase in how much VRAM is enabled is somehow stressing the video system.

Dec 20, 2015 1:07 PM in response to Allan Jones

If I'm not wrong this means that you have never experienced a similar problem.

In 10.11.2 they made some extra modifications in intel graphics drivers.

Check the About the security content of OS X El Capitan 10.11.2

Intel Graphics Driver

A memory corruption issue existed in the Intel Graphics Driver. This issue was addressed through improved memory handling.

An out of bounds memory access issue existed in the Intel Graphics Driver. This issue was addressed through improved memory handling.

My MBP is in the service right now so I didn't test if the latest update 10.11.2 resolves the issue.

May 28, 2016 6:31 AM in response to lynxie

Hi,

i have exact the same Graphic issue as lynxie !!

I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 with Intel HD 4000 Graphics, in Germany. It seems to be a world wide issue with the Intel Graphics. I contacted Apple, but they said my MacBook is not affect by their Repair Programm.

I have Version 10.10.5 , today the Graphic issue appeared right sight of the screen half height. I hope Apple finds a solution.

MBP 13" Mid 2012 Graphic issues (flickering/Video included)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.