Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need a basic explanation of the iTunes 12 podcast interface. What do the blue dots mean? What does it mean to check or uncheck the box next to the dot. Why do some items have the cloud symbol and others don't? Why isn't there a good manual?

I need a basic explanation of the iTunes 12 podcast interface. What do the blue dots mean? What does it mean to check or uncheck the box next to the dot. Why do some items have the cloud symbol and others don't? Why isn't there a good manual?

iPod classic

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 8:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 8:35 AM

Hi fictitious,

I see that you have some questions about podcasts in iTunes 12. Some of these questions can be answered by the iTunes help document found here:

iTunes Help

https://help.apple.com/itunes/win/12.1/

To get right to the questions: the blue dots are indicators that you have not listened to that episode or podcast yet:

A blue dot User uploaded file next to a movie, TV show, podcast, iTunes U lesson, or audiobook means it’s never been played. A half-blue dot User uploaded file means the item hasn’t been played all the way through.

The cloud icon is an indication that you need to download that individual episode, as it is not located on your computer currently, and the checkbox you are seeing is the same checkbox that you see on other songs in your library, which indicates your control over syncing that item to connected devices such as an iPad or iPod.

Thanks for coming to the Apple Support Communities!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2015 8:35 AM in response to fictitious

Hi fictitious,

I see that you have some questions about podcasts in iTunes 12. Some of these questions can be answered by the iTunes help document found here:

iTunes Help

https://help.apple.com/itunes/win/12.1/

To get right to the questions: the blue dots are indicators that you have not listened to that episode or podcast yet:

A blue dot User uploaded file next to a movie, TV show, podcast, iTunes U lesson, or audiobook means it’s never been played. A half-blue dot User uploaded file means the item hasn’t been played all the way through.

The cloud icon is an indication that you need to download that individual episode, as it is not located on your computer currently, and the checkbox you are seeing is the same checkbox that you see on other songs in your library, which indicates your control over syncing that item to connected devices such as an iPad or iPod.

Thanks for coming to the Apple Support Communities!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.