Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I Only Save To External Drive

Imovie is not saving my stuff because of a maxed drive. I cleared the internal drive of like 70 gigs but for some reason, I didn't use/edit anything and it just disappeared. It's fluxuating on the storage in a way that doesn't make sense, like I check and it says I have 3.6 gigs, then it's 5.6, then 2.3, etc. but I'm not downloading, altering, saving anything, it just goes up and down. I don't care about understanding any of this, I just need to take care of the iMovie problem.

Can I take the content from my iMovie library, shift it to an external drive as a new library and have iMovie always save the project to the external drive which has lots of space, like 2TB?

I am a new film maker with a teensy tiny movie company and have a lot of people depending on me for a deadline.

Thank you

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Logic Pro X current as of Oct. '13

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 8:50 PM

2 replies

Nov 27, 2015 3:11 AM in response to DanaWana

Yes, you need to create a library on the external disk (which must be Apple-formatted). The help file here gives details of how to do this and move things between libraries: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0.8/#/mov3fa25bae7

When you have checked that everything is working in the new library you can delete the old library from your startup disk using the Finder (make sure iMovie is not running). The library is package (special folder) with the extension '.imovielibrary'. It is advisable to keep a backup of the library though.

When working with the new library everything will be stored on the external drive.

[If you updated projects and events from iMovie 9 you may also still have project and events folders from that on your startup drive which can be deleted if you don't want to use this version any more.]

Geoff.

How Do I Only Save To External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.