Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S connecting to internet even after full backup and restor

My iPhone 5S, which I've had since late 2013, has had recurrent problems connecting to the internet for the past couple of months. I think the problems stem from the last iOS update, which I didn't intend, but I guess I touched something unintentionally. Anyway, since that update, neither the wifi nor the 3G will connect to the internet, unless a VPN (Open VPN) proxy server is activated, and this VPN doesn't work all the time, it's basically a matter of pot-luck whether my phone gets any internet. Previously, the wifi would work normally on its own, but after the update, the VPN would automatically be activated for apps that don't even require it, such as WhatsApp and Instagram (I'm located in Tehran). Also, I had to keep going to 'restore network settings' every time I changed wifi spots. The 3G worked, but rarely and again the VPN had to be working.

After a visit to an official Apple store overseas and countless questions at different phone shops here, I decided the only thing I could do is restore my phone. So I backed it up yesterday and fully restored the phone (iOS 9.1). Now, none of my apps have loaded (last night they were on the phone, but the icons were all faded out, not fully uploaded, this morning they've just disappeared, all downloaded apps with only the default apps there). I've restored the network settings, the Wifi still does not work at all, nor does the 3G. The connection bars are there, the signal is strong, I've used the right password etc etc, connected to my own wifi network, but nothing loads, not my emails, nothing on Safari -- the browser just tells me that my iPhone is not connected to the internet, even though the phone shows that I'm connected to Wifi with a strong signal.

And because my apps haven't loaded, that VPN will no longer activate either.

I would really appreciate any help on how to solve this, it is extremely frustrating, I just want to connect my phone to the internet. I know my location isn't ideal, but I didn't have these issues, three months ago, last year or the year before.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1, null

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 10:15 PM

There are no replies.

iPhone 5S connecting to internet even after full backup and restor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.