Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add speakers to wireless network

Hi

I have inherited a OSX setup that I am not fully au fait with, configured under Snow Leopard The basic features of the setup are server, disk array, airport (and disabled Time Capsule) and Vigor router. It has two networks - Ethernet and wireless. Computers belong connected by cable while Apple TV and Pioneer Hi-Fi are connected through wireless.

I suspect Airport has been set up as a receiver given the age of the configuration.

I recently bought Harman Kardon Aura speakers that I want to add to the existing wireless network From my iMac (10.6.8) I can use iTunes to control the Hi-Fi and Apple TV although Apple TV is usually controlled from iPad. iTunes Library works great. The Aura User Manual (Ad Hoc Mode) does make sense in this context.

So far, I have not found solution online or from experts in my local Apple Store. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.

Rob...

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), cannot boot ANY disk

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 9:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 9:59 AM

Your Harman Kardon Aura speakers will only work with your Mac if the speakers are configured to create an Ad-hoc wireless network. This means that once created you would have to disassociate your Mac from it current wireless network in order for it to connect to this Ad-hoc one. Instructions for configuring the speakers for an Ad-hoc network are on page 6 of the Owner's Manual. According to Harman Kardon this speaker support both Bluetooth and AirPlay streaming and should show up under the AirPlay icon in iTunes on your Mac once connected.

... so that means that you will not be able to accomplish your goal of adding these speakers to your existing wireless network as they would be the only speakers on its own network instead.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2015 9:59 AM in response to virag0

Your Harman Kardon Aura speakers will only work with your Mac if the speakers are configured to create an Ad-hoc wireless network. This means that once created you would have to disassociate your Mac from it current wireless network in order for it to connect to this Ad-hoc one. Instructions for configuring the speakers for an Ad-hoc network are on page 6 of the Owner's Manual. According to Harman Kardon this speaker support both Bluetooth and AirPlay streaming and should show up under the AirPlay icon in iTunes on your Mac once connected.

... so that means that you will not be able to accomplish your goal of adding these speakers to your existing wireless network as they would be the only speakers on its own network instead.

Nov 27, 2015 9:54 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks. This basically solved my problem (except that the Remote app seems determined to configure Bluetooth rather than Airplay). Are you aware of other speakers that could connect to the existing network as described? I want my iTunes Library to stream to my existing Pioneer system and the additional speakers simultaneously. I am looking for quality speakers (which is why I prefer Airplay over Bluetooth).

Nov 27, 2015 10:22 AM in response to virag0

Are you aware of other speakers that could connect to the existing network as described? I want my iTunes Library to stream to my existing Pioneer system and the additional speakers simultaneously. I am looking for quality speakers (which is why I prefer Airplay over Bluetooth).

Check out the following recent C|Net article on AirPlay-enabled speakers. You may find something there for you to explore more fully.

Add speakers to wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.