Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iMac using wireless "N" instead of "AC"

I recently purchased a new iMac and AirPort Time Capsule. I was looking forward to faster speeds using the new AC protocol, however, I just checked my wireless settings on my iMac and it shows I'm still connected using N. I thought the AirPort automatically decided which band/protocol was fastest. Why is my iMac connecting on N and not AC? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 10:08 PM

5 replies

Nov 27, 2015 6:24 AM in response to sabester

I thought the AirPort automatically decided which band/protocol was fastest.

Your iMac will connect to the strongest signal......not necessarily the fastest signal. Since 2.4 GHz signals are quite a bit stronger than 5 GHz signals, your iMac will likely connect to the 2.4 GHz signal unless it is in the same room as your AirPort Time Capsule,, or it has line-of-sight with the Time Capsule.

As LaPastenague mentions, you can assign a different name to the 5 GHz band that the Time Capsule is producing, and then "force" your iMac to connect to the 5 GHz named signal that way. But, doing this does not guarantee that the iMac will connect to the "best" (strongest) signal, and if the iMac is several rooms away from the Time Capsule, even though it might connect to 5 GHz, at that location the 2.4 GHz signal might well be both stronger and faster than the 5 GHz signal.

The bottom line here is that in general, it will likely help if you will think of 5 GHz as a "same room" connection, or a "line-of-sight" connection.

Nov 27, 2015 8:05 AM in response to sabester

Does AC only work on 5ghz?

Yes

If so, based on what you said, AC is really only beneficial for devices in the same room as the router?

As i said above, you should think of "AC" or 5 GHz as "same room" or "line-of-sight" for best performance. If you move your wireless device a room or two away from the router, then it may or may not connect at 5 GHz. If it does, the speed capability will likely be about half of what it would be if the wireless device was in the same room as the router.

I'll try using my iPhone 6 Plus in the same room as my router and see if I'm on AC.

Unless you have an incredibly fast Internet connection......something in the 300 Mbps+ range.....you will receive no benefit from an "ac" connection. Chances are, the "n" connection still has much higher speed capabilities than your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can hope to provide.

The speed of your Internet connection is going to be limited by the plan that you have with your ISP.

Why is my iMac using wireless "N" instead of "AC"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.