Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Directed iTunes to external drive, do I have 2 copies?

Finally, Seagate drive was not showing up until I downloaded a new driver to fix El Capitan issues. Now I am directing iTunes to my external drive. Where do I look to make sure I don't have identical files on my iMac? It used to be easy before, but now when I look for iTune files, it only shows the iTunes program. I don't want iTunes on my iMac because I have too much music.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 10:31 PM

2 replies

Nov 27, 2015 10:41 AM in response to Red Pod

That's kind of strange. I have never had any issues with any brand drive show up on my computer. Maybe you are using a special interface.

"iTunes" is the application itself, not the library (which is all the files and folders used to create the iTunes display), or just media. These are 3 different things and you need to keep them straight.

How are you directing iTunes to do this? We need specific details. Some ways tell iTunes to store new media on an external drive. A modification of this tells iTunes to do it but copy old media too. Other ways move the entire library, not just media.

Nov 28, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Limnos

When El Capitan was installed, one of my two external drives disappeared. First I thought it was broken, then read about the problems with El Capitan. Did some research and found a new driver that recognized it. Went to iTunes preferences, then advanced and followed the instructions. It works, but I need to make sure the files are not also on my Mac.

Directed iTunes to external drive, do I have 2 copies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.