Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display problem on MacBook Pro 2015

I have problem with the display on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
(It's not related to the stain-problem in 2013-2014 models)

It looks like there is rows of backlight. Sometimes when I open it up, half of the rows don't light up. When I close and reopen it usually lights up on all rows.

To me it seems like there is a glitch in a contact to the display.. What do you think?

I had this problem maybe once a month in the beginning, but now after half a year it has increased.. Yesterday it occurred 3 times!
There is no Apple Store in Norway and if I leave it for service to the local Apple Reseller, I could end up paying 50$ if the problem don't show up during their test.

Is there a way to get Apple to take it back and fix the problem / replace with a new one?

Here is a photo and if you prefer video I uploaded it to YouTube: https://youtu.be/mhHDW0ARvkc

In the video you can see during and after the problem.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Early 2015

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 2:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 3:55 AM

Hello ChristofferE,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I can see from your photo and video that there is something going on with the backlight on your screen. First, I suggest resetting the SMC and NVRAM. If the issue persists after that, then you will need to look into getting your Mac serviced.

Resetting NVRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM, you may need to reconfigure settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information.

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac

On Mac notebooks with non-removable battery

Mac notebook computers that have a battery you should not remove include: MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, MacBook (Late 2009), and MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015).

To reset the SMC:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

On MagSafe power adapters, the LED might change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

Have a good one.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 3:55 AM in response to ChristofferE

Hello ChristofferE,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I can see from your photo and video that there is something going on with the backlight on your screen. First, I suggest resetting the SMC and NVRAM. If the issue persists after that, then you will need to look into getting your Mac serviced.

Resetting NVRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM, you may need to reconfigure settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information.

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac

On Mac notebooks with non-removable battery

Mac notebook computers that have a battery you should not remove include: MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, MacBook (Late 2009), and MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015).

To reset the SMC:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

On MagSafe power adapters, the LED might change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

Have a good one.

Display problem on MacBook Pro 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.