Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File sharing to automatically add to iTunes folder

Hi guys

I have OS X Server running on one of our 8 different servers at work, this server is our deployment server so it sends out and hosts the network users and also has our main iCloud photo sharing and iTunes accounts on it.

I want to know if there is a way of creating a folder that for my users that will allow them to drop a movie into it and it will send it to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder (hard drive/users/admin/music/itunes/itunesmedia/automaticallyaddtoitunes). However i don't want them to have a back door into the server, because they will need admin credentials to get into the folder if it is a direct alias to that folder.

Is there a work around for this?

Thanks

Miles K

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 2:44 AM

3 replies

Nov 27, 2015 5:19 AM in response to manbearpig349

iTunes normally stores it's content in -

~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/

In that folder is a special sub-folder called "Automatically Add to iTunes". If you put new content e.g. new music files in that folder then iTunes will automatically import and move them to the main iTunes folder. iTunes of course needs to be running on the server as that owner of that folder.

So, if you 'share' that "Automatically Add to iTunes" they will be able to put new movies in it and these will automatically be moved to the movies folder by iTunes on the server and the user will not be able to access the movies folder itself. This special folder will only have files in it while iTunes is copying them and otherwise will be completely empty.

File sharing to automatically add to iTunes folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.