Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X keeps reinstalling basic sound content

I have moved all my content to an external drive to free up hard drive space. I have a relatively small SSD system drive, only 500 Gb. I followed the instructions on creating aliases for all the Apple Loops as well as the Logic Pro content including Ultrabeats. I then deleted the original files and changed the names of the aliases so that Logic would see them as the originals. And still, every time I open Logic, it installs "basic content." What am I doing wrong? I would think that Apple would make this process easier ... Is there a preference within Logic Pro X that I can tell it to stop loading basic content or at the very least, ask before doing so? I used this link to help me through this: http://music.tutsplus.com/articles/how-and-why-to-move-your-logic-pro-x-sound-li braries-to-an-external-drive--audio-1956…

If you have done this successfully could you please provide a clear step by step outline or point me to one? Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR23 FB

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2015 3:42 PM

Hi Roslinda and Dylan

You need to use Symlinks not Aliases.

Unfortunately, Symlinks are created using Terminal. If you do a web search you will find instructions on how to create them in Terminal.

The actual commands are ln -s to create the link, but it is a little more involved.

If after searching you can't figure it out and I have some time I can write up a step by step instruction.

You also only want to move the "Sound Sample Libraries", this is where most space is taken up. Leave the rest of the folders alone.

There are at least 3 in the System(MacHD)>Library>Application Support>Logic.

You move Alchemy Samples/EXS Factory Samples/Ultrabeat Samples. There are other files you can move if you want, but this is ~45GB of data.

I moved LPX samples onto a fast SDXC card as my other ports are typically taken up by audio interfaces, disk drives and monitors.

You also need to make sure you have the device(drive/SD card) where the samples are stored mounted prior to launching LPX or at launch it will go get the missing files.

Hope this helps, Greg

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2015 3:42 PM in response to rosindabow

Hi Roslinda and Dylan

You need to use Symlinks not Aliases.

Unfortunately, Symlinks are created using Terminal. If you do a web search you will find instructions on how to create them in Terminal.

The actual commands are ln -s to create the link, but it is a little more involved.

If after searching you can't figure it out and I have some time I can write up a step by step instruction.

You also only want to move the "Sound Sample Libraries", this is where most space is taken up. Leave the rest of the folders alone.

There are at least 3 in the System(MacHD)>Library>Application Support>Logic.

You move Alchemy Samples/EXS Factory Samples/Ultrabeat Samples. There are other files you can move if you want, but this is ~45GB of data.

I moved LPX samples onto a fast SDXC card as my other ports are typically taken up by audio interfaces, disk drives and monitors.

You also need to make sure you have the device(drive/SD card) where the samples are stored mounted prior to launching LPX or at launch it will go get the missing files.

Hope this helps, Greg

Dec 3, 2015 8:13 AM in response to rosindabow

I am also experiencing this exact issue. Did the FULL install last night (~44gb for me), moved it to my external, created an alias, renamed it, blahblahblah (watched the same video, as well as a few others from people doing the same thing with their Final Cut files). I am on OS X El Capitan. Today is my second day using a Mac EVER, so I thought it was just me being an idiot, but I have realized that this is just an inane issue from Apple. Not very comforting for a brand new customer who is trying to embrace the Apple ecosystem. This should be so simple. There HAS to be an easy way to do this, am I wrong?

PLEASE advise. Thanks.

Dec 3, 2015 3:54 PM in response to EcoGreg

Hi - the idea helps but now I need the step by step instructions to make this happen. I will do some searching around the web to see if anyone else has written this up. One would think that Apple would make this easier. Most every other sample library manufacturer specifically gives you an option to store your large files anywhere you want to. It's a drag that Apple doesn't ...

So if you get around to it, please post back here with the instructions.

By the way- the name is rosindabow, not Roslinda.

Thanks.

Feb 3, 2016 6:00 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Should I delete the content from the external hard drive prior to downloading everything one more time? I understand from the SymLink instructions that the download should go directly into the external hard drive via the Symlink. SO - does it make sense to delete it all and attempt to download and hope that it actually is directed to the external hard drive? Thanks.

Feb 3, 2016 6:31 PM in response to canonmills

Hi Canonmills

I have some real problems with this video's instructions.

I recommend that everyone stay away for MacUpdate and a number of other sites that inject adware into their downloads. Who needs it?

While at one time MacUpdate was a maybe a respectable site, the updates they have are not necessarily the latest and lately they started injecting adware/malware with their downloads in order to increase their $$$.

Stay away from aggregate sites, especially if you only need some instructions on command line (Terminal) instructions.

The "Symlinker" program mentioned is no longer supported and can cause problems.

I only mention all of this because some folks will come here and attempt to follow the instructions in the YouTube link.

Hope this helps, Greg

Feb 3, 2016 7:09 PM in response to rosindabow

Hi Rosindabow

If you have all of the sound sample files on an external drive already, and they are current, then you only need to remove the "Alias" link and create a "symlink" to the same files.

Once the symlink is created, any updates should go to the external location. I will attempt to check soon.

It is possible to move all of the files via the finder and the only reason to use "Terminal" is for the creation of the actual "Sym Link" Doing it this way, I think removes the need to even involve the use of Super User DO (sudo), something else I need to try. AFAIRemember creating a symlink does not require sudo in Terminal. I am always cautious to instruct folks in using Terminal when sudo is used as there is no safety factor. If you delete (rm) a file/folder there is no warning and if it is a critical file it can cause problems.

I will attempt to document creating symlinks without using sudo. ( I may be totally wrong here)

Here is a link to a much better YouTube vid (than posted above) on creating Symlinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yubdnVnbiGQ

The actual commands you need start about 2 mins in. Again, I don't think you need sudo, that is only needed when deleting files (I think) not for creating a symlink.

The actual command is "ln -s" without quotes to create a symlink. Then just point to file. If the symlink appears in the external drive and not the original location, just drag to original location. That's all you need. The small arrow icon symbol for symlinks is exactly the same as for an Alias link.

Do nor use MacUpdate for any downloads, that site has been installing adware/malware in downloads, and Symlinker is no longer supported and can cause issues.

What Nigel "The Art Of Sound" says may be correct in that when there is a new update, you may get prompted to download files.

Nigel… Am I right about creating symlinks not needing sudo??

I will try to provide instructions later this week, but busy next few days. Racing like crazy right now.

Hope this helps, Greg

Jul 21, 2016 12:46 PM in response to pidusk

No do not follow these instructions. DO NOT USE ALIAS

This will not work for long.

You have to use Symbolic Links and Apple does not provide an easy method to create symlinks, so you must use Terminal.

Sorry to bust your bubble and now you will most likely tell me that it works for you. Wait till the next updates when the downloader will attempt to install all packages on your internal drive.

Hope this helps, Greg

Logic Pro X keeps reinstalling basic sound content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.