Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to remove software programs to transfer to new computer without cd drive

After years of heavy lifting - so i am investing in a new mac. However, I want to use my software from the old mac. Transfering via migration assistant won't work - the older computer is too unreliable - graphics card failing although running in safe mode. I have all of my original cds and serial numbers. I have read various postings saying that i need to completely uninstall before i can re-use - ie - transfer my legally owned software to my new computer. What is the correct way of doing this.

NB - old computer not reliable will crash and freeze

NB the cd drive on the old computer is not functioning and jamming so i don't want to load anything into it. - so no uninstall options there

Is it just a case of drag and drop - the programs are adobe photoshop etc and final cut pro 7 - which works on el captitan.

At the moment i am making dmg formatted files of applications and have copied over the supporting library files. My theory is to load these dmg's onto my new machine hoping it will just ask me for my serial number. However, is there possibly a hidden file with my serial number on the old mac that needs deleting - I am worried that the system will think i am making two copies. This is not the case. it will simply be transferring legal software from one machine to the new one.

I have already deauthorised the old computer via itunes -

so step by step please... 😀

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 12:27 AM

3 replies

Nov 27, 2015 8:52 AM in response to happy creative

Spend the money to get an external optical disc drive for your new computer and install the software from the original discs.

Apple sells one:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD564LL/A/apple-usb-superdrive?afid=p238%7CslD dBHJkw-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_52243…

or look at OWC Computing:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/

It is difficult to locate all the files necessary to run Final Cut Studio, a clean install is always preferred over even using Apple's migration tool.

Since FCP-7 is not being supported by Apple any longer, you need to make sure you it install it in the best possible way as you are on your own in getting it to run and run without issues.

MtD

Nov 27, 2015 4:39 PM in response to Meg The Dog

In addition to what MTD is saying, understand that you are installing software that was written for OS X 10.6.8 on a machine that will likely come with OSX 10.11.

Many elements of the software will not work - e.g. Compressor, Motion, Cinema tools, DVD Studio Pro and potentially Soundtrack Pro.

How FCP runs seems to be a hit or miss proposition.

So, follow MTD's advice to have a clean install and the best chance of the software working.

Good luck,

x

Nov 27, 2015 9:12 PM in response to Studio X

thanks for the advice - i am definitely considering an external drive - btw - <Link Edited by Host> his video demostrates that FCP7 works on el captitan - but didn't work with yosemite - plus all the other programs except motion - that is why i am planning to test it out on the new machine -

perhaps apple decided to support all the disgruntled FCP7 users who see FC X as a suped up i movie and aren't changing or going to premier

things are grim at the moment

<Link Edited By Host>

how to remove software programs to transfer to new computer without cd drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.