Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to run windows 10 from a usb drive on my macbook pro

I have windows 10 installed on my macbook pro. with Bootcamp. What I would like to do if possible. is Do the same thing only I would like windows to be installed on a usb drive. so When I wanted to run windows I would have to put the drive in and reboot the computer and choose it. This will free up some hard drive space on my already limited hard drive

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 4:59 AM

4 replies

Nov 27, 2015 12:42 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Don't have vmware nor do I want it. I set up bootcamp so I would have to reboot my computer to run windows. My hard drive has a windows partition on it now. What I want to do if possible is instead of having that partition That would all be on the usb So what I would have to do is plug in my usb to run windows and when its not in I still have all of my hard drive for mac use.

Nov 27, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Jvnsuffolk

Jvnsuffolk wrote:

...What I want to do if possible is instead of having that partition That would all be on the usb So what I would have to do is plug in my usb to run windows and when its not in I still have all of my hard drive for mac use.

Exactly. That's why I suggested a virtual machine. Once the VM file is created from the Boot Camp partition and you establish it's working, you can put the VM on the USB external (or create it there to begin with), and then delete the Boot Camp partition as the instructions I linked to explained. A Boot Camp partition has to be on the same drive as your boot partition but a VM doesn't.

how to run windows 10 from a usb drive on my macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.